Savage 25-06... Which model?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by jdk81, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jdk81

jdk81 Well-Known Member

I am looking at getting a new rifle and have it narrowed down to a Savage calibered in 25-06. I have found that most people would consider Savage to be most accurate out of the box. I will use this for yotes, deer, and (once upgraded) long range target shooting. Longest shot I will be taking in the mean time is probably no more than 300 yards. Which model will be most accurate out of the box? Will the Axis be fine? I plan on putting good glass on it and then saving up for a B&C, or some other nice stock.

What do you guys think?

2. BiG tRaV aus

BiG tRaV aus Member

The Axis has a few issues the trigger being one of them as I have found out recently as I was looking at the options myself the marlin has a better trigger and by what I have read is more accurate generally. If you want to go the savage route save a few more dollars and buy the model 11/111 long range hunter.:)

3. jdk81

jdk81 Well-Known Member

I would love too, problem is that I do not have too much to dump into a new gun at the moment. I am looking for a decent gun that will shoot MOA. That would be more accurate than I would actually need it anyways for hunting/general long range plinking. Would the Marlin XS7 be a better choice?

4. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

Tikka T3

5. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

After getting to man handle a tikka T3 in 300 WSM, I will have to agree with mike. The action is so smooth that it almost feels custom. That 300 WSM was shooting just .4"-.5" three shot groups(100 yds) on the first day of finding a load for it. The trigger is really nice too. I like savages but the Tikkas in my opinion are in a class of their own. I would seriously consider the Tikka in 25-06.

6. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

guns last a long time get a good one. tikka or remington or sako or a savage lrp.

7. hawk45

hawk45 Well-Known Member

Go with the 111 as that will be the best value without saying "If you can pony up $200-300 more.."

8. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Find a good used Remington 700 Sendero in .25-06....

9. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

sportsmans warehouse has rem 700 stainless adl with a scope for 429. not a sendero but definetly a step up from axis. get what You want and enjoy it.

10. BiG tRaV aus

BiG tRaV aus Member

In response to the question of the marlin I am led to believe it is a better choice than the axis or the ruger american as an entry level rifle, as far as dollars go for what you get. However I do not own either, I have had a play with an axis and really was not impressed with it much at all, the marlin XL7 did seem a bit smoother in the action but build quality on both is exactly what the price tag tells you. I also looked at a zastava which was within a $100 of both and is basically a true mauser action and was finished much nicer than both, and would be a rifle worth looking at to build into a better rig down the track if you so desired. This said there are other good options out there that are nicely built and only a small amount more than an axis. My recommendation as has been said "rifles last a long time ..."so buy the best you can afford, if all you can truly afford is an axis or a marlin then buy one of those but if you can hold off a few more weeks and save a little more you will be better off in the long run.:)