savage 200 convert center feed mag to stagered feed

jeb20208

Hi'
I'm new to the form, so any help will be appreciated.
I have two savage 200's in 223 which I had re-barreled and chambered to 30/221 (300 whisper)). The first was an older model with a staggered feed magazine which functions perfectly. The second is the newer model with the center feed mag.This one will not extract the empty case as it falls into the void between the chamber feed ramp and magazine feed lips. In order to eliminate the problem, I believe changing the mag will fix the problem.. Is it possible to change the center feed mag to a staggered feed mag and restock the action with the older type stock which accepts the staggered feed mag? I found the mag and follower assembly at Brownells. Thanks:

It could be done, but not very practically. You're looking at welding and remachining the bottom of the action. I'm guessing your problem could be solved with some tweaking of the ejector and extractor.

You'll have to have the bottom of the newer receiver milled for the slot that attaches the old style magazine to the receiver. It's not really practical.

You need to check to be sure the ejector is operating properly. It sounds like the case is being extracted from the chamber OK but then instead of the ejector throwing it clear it falls into the magazine? Unless the mag lips are somehoe interfering with ejection which whould cause feeding problems too.
If there is any way you can post a picture of the bolt head we can tell you pretty quick if the ejector is in it. Sounds like it's not.

Thanks for the reply. The more I play with it, I think you are on to something. I'm not sure where the ejector is located or how it functions. I did have the extractor changed and it is pulling the case out of the chamber. I will take a picture of the bolt and post it. I appreciate all the replies.
Thanks

This is a Savage bolt head:

savagebolthead.jpg

The round hole in the middle of the bolt face is the firing pin hole. The small wedge shaped piece at the bottom of the bolt face is the extractor, it goes over the rim of the cartridge and pulls it out of the chamber when you open the bolt after firing.

The round thing protruding from the two o'clock position of the bolt face is the ejector, if you push on it it will spring back out but it shouldn't be easy to push in. If it doesn't spring back out it isn't working right. When the empty case is extracted from the chamber by the extractor the ejector throws the case clear of the receiver. Sometimes a bit of brass can get stuck in the ejector and jam it up or if it's incredibly dirty it can get stuck compressed. It sounds like the ejector the issue if the spent cases are extracting but not ejecting. If it's compressed and won't pop back out try cleaning it with simple green. I don't suggest using a liquid oil lubricant on the bolt or the bolt face because it can attract dirt, grime and powder and...well problems like this can happen. If none of this helps and you are handy you can dissassemble the bolt and clean it or install a new ejector or have you friendly neighborhood gunsmith do it. It shouldn't be too terribly expensive.

I hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.