Savage 12FV New Gun with sticky bolt when cycling.

Wachsmann

I just bought a savage 12FV and the bolt seem to stick or hang up a lot about half way through the action just as it contacts the mag feed lips. I pulled the stock and made sure the magazine was getting pushed down and in place from what i can tell. It seem to be cause by the feed lips on the mag as they press against the bolt. It does lack for smooth machining on the bolt race way but it is a lot smoother when lifted out of the stock. Any suggestions? Am I still not getting the mag seated correctly? Help needed.

Try it without the mag before you bend the lips. Also maybe the action screws are too tight. Should be about 35-40inch pounds.

BW

Back down some on the frt (closest to muzzle) action screw. If its too long or pushing the pillar up it can contact the bolt and start to bind it. The mag lips can drag if coming in too far at the top also. I'm used to stagger feeds with a blind magazine so not much help with the newer ones. Thinking about it, halfway thru bolt travel would have to be mag or mag lips.

I had to use a washer to space the action screws a bit further back--when torqued down they were binding the bolt and keeping it from lifting all the way.

I'd definitely try the rifle with the box mag popped out first. Sometimes you can get the magazine spring caught under the edge of magazine and it isn't seated prefectly. If you don't want to pop out the mag, take just the barreled action out of the stock and run the bolt a few times, see if you can find a burr anywhere in the bolt rails. Figure out if it's the magazine or action and then fix the problem.

BTW--front action screw, if protruding too much when torqued down, has potential to bind the bolt from lifting; the rear action screw can keep the bolt from sliding back all the way/ prevent removing the bolt.

I'll check the front action screws again for clearance but the machining on the race ways that the bolt rides on is pretty bad. I torqued the action screws to 35 inch pounds. On the race way you can actually see all the tool marking in the race way. I pulled it apart again and pulled out the mag. I had the rifle out of the stock just cycling the bolt and if there is any pressure on the bolt it will seem sticky. Its no where near the machining I have on my stainless 116 or the old Stevens I just sold. It was a cheap buy of one of the special runs from Cabelas that they are running a sale on right now. I try some different gun lube on the bolt also. I just have some generic gun grease from Walmart on it now.

There is an outside chance that if you have already mounted scope rings, the scope ring screws are extending down into the chamber just a little bit. You can check by removing them or by running your finger inside the top of the chamber when the rings are installed. It happened twice in my life. Once to me and once to a shooter at our range after mounting a new scope and rings.

How much is it "sticking"? Are we talking it binds up and you have to really push it to keep moving? Or it just requires slightly more force due to the rough machining? I've got 2 of the 12fv's myself, lots of other low priced rifles, no Customs at all, and I just accept that mine are never going to feel like the bolt is floating on clouds the way folks around here describe their custom actions...but we get what we pay for.

I think it's just the cheapness of the rifle and the tool marking. I had every thing removed and with just a little off side pressure on the bolt it would cause the sticking or cause the bolt to be harder to pull the bolt back. The gun was also out of the stock. So from what I can tell it may just be something that has to wear in. Sad thing, from a prone position with stock attached I wont be able to cycle the bolt without having to hold the rifle with both hands. I could take it to a smith later on and get it checked over but I'm in the process of moving so it will have to set for now. I also plan on getting it bedded after we are moved and settled in. I may see how it shoots first but I'm sure a good bedding job would help it out.

I think it's just the cheapness of the rifle and the tool marking. I had every thing removed and with just a little off side pressure on the bolt it would cause the sticking or cause the bolt to be harder to pull the bolt back. The gun was also out of the stock. So from what I can tell it may just be something that has to wear in. Sad thing, from a prone position with stock attached I wont be able to cycle the bolt without having to hold the rifle with both hands. I could take it to a smith later on and get it checked over but I'm in the process of moving so it will have to set for now. I also plan on getting it bedded after we are moved and settled in. I may see how it shoots first but I'm sure a good bedding job would help it out.

Silly question, but have the bolt raceway, including upper inside surface of bolt path, and bolt been lubed?

I have had a new savage bolt feel sticky when it was still "dry", but huge improvements once lubed. Of course side-to-side pressure may still cause it to bind up due to loose factory tolerances, but straight back and forth movement should not be an issue.

Last edited:
I cleaned mine with brake cleaner as well as the action. I then used Starrett oil on the bolt and wiped it so it had just a film it helped dramatically on a FV in 6.5 creedmoor.

I messed around with one of mine today while testing something else, and if I put side pressure on it, it takes slightly more force to move the bolt, but forward and back its effortless...not that the "slightly more force" im talking about here requires a whole lot of effort either. Like I said earlier in this thread, I buy cheap guns and I DONT expect them to feel as amazing as something that's 10x the cost. Before joining this forum I just thought thats how they're supposed to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.