Savage 11 LRH grouping issues

SavageScott

I have a Savage 11 LRH .300 wsm that I have now only taken to the range twice. I have around 100 rounds through it total. It's got Leupold rings and a 5x20 Nikon Monarch on top......

Took it to the range today. Had several different types of ammo. It started out grouping GREAT; around. 75 MOA @100. At 200 it also grouped great. About 20 - 30 rounds in the groups really started opening up. Around 2-3 inches @ 100 yards. Checked the mounts and rings and they were fine. My questions are:

If the barrel was too heated up would it cause this?
Would the torque of the front action screw cause it? I had it torqued at 40 inch pounds......

I'm pretty darn frustrated as hunting season is approaching and I'm running out of time to get this straightened out.....

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

If the barrel was too heated up would it cause this?

Most definitely.

Clean your barrel and fire two rounds. Let the barrel cool down completely. Pick the ammunition you think was the most accurate. (Using several brands of ammunition is not a great idea when you are developing a pre-hunt zero for your rifle.) Remember, what you are after is finding out where your bullet is most likely to strike with a cold barrel when you are in the field and get a shot at a deer. That first shot is the most critical.

I have this gun in the 300 win mag.
They are, as you know, not heavy barrel bench guns. It sounds like the barrel heating is your exact problem. Thirty shots is pretty stout. How long were you waiting between shots? I would have to be there at the range quite a while to shoot mine that many times.
The gun I have, like ALL my other Savage rifles, like to be dirty. That's why I don't think cleaning would be in the equation. Mine will let you know when it's time to clean. (I'm assuming you have cleaned it before)
I've never had a problem with torque setting after it's been set. At least not yet..knock on wood.

Excellent, thanks guys! Didn't really think about how thin the barrel was....... I was barely waiting at all between shots! Should have known better!!!

That's why I love this website. ..... there always people more knowledgeable willing to help!

My son has the same rifle as you and it really shoots great. I reloaded for him for a while and then he bought a box of 165gr Federal Fusion bullets. Went to the range and tried them out....less than .50" for three shots. I went back to the house and got my Savage 300WSM and got the same results. Tried them out in one other Savage 300WSM and they shot great in that one also. Might give them a try. Good luck on your hunt.

Haven't tried the Fusions yet but before the barrel got too hot this thing was really liking the Winchester Silver Ballistic Tips (180 Grain).......

I would go with the Winchester 180's then since you know your rifle will shoot them.

You have a Monarch Scope so you can go to the Nikon Spot-On ballistics calculator and
use their data to set up the scope the way you want it. I use it on my Nikon with the BDC and it is very accurate. Another good calculator is JBM. The 180gr Winchester bullet has a BC=.382. Just plug in your elevation, temperature, humidity and 3000fps velocity and what you want your zero range to be, hit calculate and JBM will give you accurate data on your ammunition's ballistic performance for the data you entered.

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts