Sand sock

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Sand sock
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave King
Ok, I love the sand sock idea you gave me last summer. This is a sock filled with light-weight plastic beads. It is used to support the butt of the rifle stock when shooting from the prone position with a bipod. By squeezing on the sock you can adjust the rear of the stock up or down.

My problem is that my sock is too loose and I am not getting quite enough stability sometimes. So, what is the diameter and length of the filled area of your sock? What is the material your sock is made of?

Len Backus

posted April 11, 2001 06:51 PM

David P. Herne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave,
Hell yeah! What and ingenius and practical idea! I've been using all kinds of stuff in the past (e.g. rocks, tree branches, small dead animals, etc.). I know, I know, you're asking yourself how I ever made it through college . . . . . LOL!
Thanks,
David

N/A

posted April 11, 2001 10:32 PM

Dave King

Len
I used a standard mens Olive Drab one-size-fits-all sock and a full pack of the plastic doll fill beads that you'll find in those artsy crafty stores. The trick is to get a set of womens knee high nylon stockings and pour the beads into the nylon stockings and then insert the stocking into the outer OD sock. Pull the womens knee high nylon tight before you tie it off and that will give you some additional firmness. You can use two nylons to get a firmer style.

I've added a piece of 550 cord and a big leather "button" to the concoction to give the sand sock a loop type handle. I cut an old piece of leather into a round "button" and poke a hole through it. I then thread a piece of 550 cord through the leather button and tie off a loop at the desired size. I stuff the leather button into the sand sock before I tie off the outer OD sock. This gives me a nice loop to carry the sand sock around, I can also clip it onto a small carabiner that I keep on my pack strap.

posted April 12, 2001 07:42 AM

Fergus Bailey

The other benefit is that after a long day of hunting, you can put the sock down the front of your trousers when you go to a night club http://www.angelfire.com/ab/fergus

posted April 12, 2001 09:06 PM

Allen in Texas

Just make sure it's in the FRONT.
posted April 13, 2001 11:23 AM

Gary Rihn

Oh man, you boys are NOT right!
posted April 14, 2001 07:19 AM

Gary Rihn

I've done the sand sock in the literal GI sock like Dave. Heck, we even used to fill them with sand, small gravel, etc, whatever we could find in the field. Not the best fillings! I found a more permanent method now though. What I use now is square shaped "socks" made from worn out BDU's. Cut out the size you want (I use about 6"x8" and 4"x6"). Sew them up on three sides, fill with beads, and close it off. (Helps if you know someone with a sewing machine). A lot of times, I end up sitting the larger one down then setting the smaller one on top, for real fine control.
Just another way to do it...

posted April 14, 2001 07:27 AM

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.