Sand Bags and Rice ???

J Spain

I just filled my sand bags with rice and it seems to work well...guess now they will be called rice bags....Has any one else done this..

Or what do you use other than (sand)))

Go to a craft store and get the plastic beads they use to fill beenie-babies - light, cheap and do not hold moisture.

[ QUOTE ]
Go to a craft store and get the plastic beads they use to fill beenie-babies - light, cheap and do not hold moisture.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. We have started using these most of the time. Might as well practice like you play!!

I do not want Rice Au Graten or rice all rotten in my truck.
I have done as Ian has said & used pastic beads, we just
have too much rain & humidity here in AR. to do otherwise.

I've had cracked corn in one of my rear bags for years without a single problem. I was worried about what humidity might do to the bag but it just hasn't caused a problem. It is much lighter than sand and is rather stable too.

Unlike sand or poly beads, you can eat it if you're in a real bind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gunsmoke, I'd advise against it. I tried it years ago, & if your bag gets wet, the rice SWELLS just like in your steamer, & your bag will likely split. Despite being heavy, this turns into a mess that smells delicious !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Why not walnut polishing medium if you don't want sand.Bead blasting material works fine.If you want weight use #9 steel or lead shot

I am a locksmith so I have a constant trickle of used tumblers from locks I have rekeyed. They are solid brass and are about .115" diameter and between .165" and .365" long. They are sort of like brass rice. They make the bags quite heavy. My rear bag is home made and has some design flaws but it does dampen recoil nicely when the poll of the grip is nestled against the rear bag.

You might go to some of the local locksmiths and ask if they have any tumblers saved and if not would they put them in a coffee can for you to pick up in a few months. It shouldn't take long to accumulate enough for a regular rear bench bag.

I guess that we are talking about 2 different types of bags. I thought we were discussing light, carry type bags for field shooting/hunting. For target/bench shooting, sure
bags like yours would be great & I use sand bags. But for light carry bags I fill with poly beads. Rice, Corn & similar items WILL get wet here in AR., esp. if I am hunting in the bottoms. If I go to prone many times the bag will be laying in some water.

I filled one set of bags with blasting shot and the other with rice.The shot filled bags are very stable but heavy and still dont like water.The bags filled with rice are shot(the **** mice moved in one fall and ruined the bags and made a mess in the reloading room(in just two days).
If you want light put those artsy fartsy beads in them and be done with it.It aint worth messin with etable fillers that could also collect moisture!

I use rice for lots of my bags, most importantly generic shot bags full of rice. I just put them in gallon ziploc bags, and sew them up. Much lighter than lead, and pack quite well.

I've had three 25-pound shot bags filled with rice since the late 1960's. They've got wet a couple of times but dried out well and still seem about the same as when first put together. Like anything else with good parts well put together: "Works just fine, lasts a long time."

I use rice too. If you tear a bag, getting rice all over yer gun is a whole lot cooler than sand. I got reminded about how nasty sand filled bags are last week at the range. Somebody left this big honkin sandbag @ the only open spot @ the range, and I had to move it. It was tore open(no wonder the guy left it), and I had to clean off the bench before shooting. Sucked.

One thought on using rice filled bags...you can spray the bag with a canvas waterproofing spray once filled. You may have to spray it every now and then to keep it water-tight, but it sure wouldn't hurt anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.