Sako TRG action, is it a good one??

Flinch

I have a Sako TRG magnum action that is currently a 7mm mag. I LOVE the smoothness and tight tollerances of the action and safety. Does anyone know if McMillan makes a stock for this action? Is this a good platform for a custom long range rifle? The action is PLENTY long enough for about anything out there. My concern is the plactic bottom material. It would also need a remington "sandwich" type recoil lug. Any suggestions? Flinch

I also have a Sako TRG in 300 Win Mag. I also like the smoothness of the bolt. I met someone at our local range that converted one to single feed 338/378 Weatherby. He had a McMillan A-3 Stock, I think. I heard he paid big bucks for it, and waited a long time. ($750, over 6-months) I plan on getting a mill and lathe or using a friends mill or lathe and making a scope rail, slotted if possible, and rebarrelling it to a fatter and longer barrel, maybe in 338 Lapua Imp. or one of the 404 based 30 calibers. Also plan on doing the pillar bedding, in stainless steel pillars. May also sell it, if I get a good price and try to buy a Sako 75 action and do all the custom things on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.