Sako M995 .338 Lapua Stock Repair - Worth It?

bonafide

I had a gunsmith install a recessed magnet receiver for the Spartan tripod in my Sako .338 Lapua. The gun is very heavy and the adapter is not in the middle of the weight, so that when the tripod is holding, there is a lot of tension on the stock. It has started cracking badly (pictures below), and I am wondering if y'all think it is worth trying to repair. I am not a gunsmith, but I would be willing to give it a shot and move the adapter further back towards the clip (if possible) to give it more balance. I am also shopping for a new stock and operating under the assumption that it isn't worth repairing. But of course finding a stock for this action is pretty tough since no one seems to manufacture them anymore. I suppose, ideally, I will find a stock (I have a few leads through LRH), but try to repair it also to get some experience and have a back-up. Is it worth trying to repair? Thanks for your feedback.

Attachments

• F4D567B6-BEC3-4F78-A546-41FD2D3B1668.jpeg
    F4D567B6-BEC3-4F78-A546-41FD2D3B1668.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • BFB92BDD-1A28-4453-B9FE-5AA132F75969.jpeg
    BFB92BDD-1A28-4453-B9FE-5AA132F75969.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 7DCE8F22-5DE5-44DD-A812-6A733260027A.jpeg
    7DCE8F22-5DE5-44DD-A812-6A733260027A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
I have one of these in 30-378 Weatherby and another in 7mm STW, These stocks are known to be fragile and break quite often, Especially if the action screws are loose during firing , That's why I check the action screws frequently to make sure they are tight, Although I know that is not what caused the failure. This was the wrong stock to modify, But It's worth repairing because these are very hard to find and when you do they are pricey.

I would use epoxy such as Acraglas Gel and add Brownells black die to it, And maybe inside reinforce it with wire or fiberglass cloth. It's worth a try. Or hit the "Easy Button" and order a "KRG" stock for it, Last I checked they still offer one stock for the Sako M995. I have kicked around the idea of getting the KRG stock and selling the old ones for around $450.00 each and that would have almost paid for one stock, But I changed my mind and decided to leave them original.

Last edited:
I am no expert but how would you repair delamination? Fix it one place and it might delaminate in another. Plus, would it be working with pure epoxy - what about color match? Texture?

What about using it as a pattern and making a good wood stock from it or making a mold of it and making a carbon/ glass stock replacement? Just some thoughts.

i

I would use epoxy such as Acraglas Gel and add Brownells black die to it, And maybe inside reinforce it with wire or fiberglass cloth. It's worth a try. Or hit the "Easy Button" and order a "KRG" stock for it, Last I checked they still offer one stock for the Sako M995. I have kicked around the idea of getting the KRG stock and selling the old ones for around $450.00 each and that would have almost paid for one stock, But I changed my mind and decided to leave them original.
Thank you very much for all your help. I will probably end up both buying and repairing. I prefer the Sporter look to the tactical one but both are cool. I will let you know how it turns out.

I am no expert but how would you repair delamination? Fix it one place and it might delaminate in another. Plus, would it be working with pure epoxy - what about color match? Texture?

What about using it as a pattern and making a good wood stock from it or making a mold of it and making a carbon/ glass stock replacement? Just some thoughts.

i
Is the delaminating part purely aesthetics? I guess I was thinking it was and mostly just wanted to make it sound and look as good as possible or maybe paint it as you suggested. The "making a mold" suggestion is way over my head and skill level. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't believe this is de-laminating? It would have to be a laminate material to De-Laminate. It looks like stress cracks, This is a synthetic stock, It is the same material that my Sako TRG 42 stock is made of.

With the amount of fracturing in that stock I am not certain it can be repaired. I don't have any experience trying to fix these plastic stocks but it seems like with a lot of plastic type composite materials nothing sticks well enough to them for a solid structural repair. I have a M995 in a 7.82 Warbird, fortunately I replaced my stock before any issues appeared but this is not uncommon with these stocks. I have heard stories of them literally shattering when firing the rifle. My replacement was a Macmillan Hunter, which has been a fantastic stock. I am not sure if they still inlet for this action though.