Sako 85 - any experience?

co17

I read an article a while ago with a test on the new Sako 85.
It was before the rifle was released for sale and the test rifle was a late prototype.
There were some problems with the ejection angle. The ejected cases kept hitting the side turret even though it was a low non-target turret.
It also had rough trigger release, not the usual Sako breaking-glass trigger.

How are the actual factory rifles now?
I am considering an 85 Varmint .308Win.
Any experience with the Varmint model?

I just got the Sako 85 Finnlight. Haven't fired it yet, still waiting to get it scoped. I'm really pleased with it. Can't speak to the ejection issue, first time I've heard about it. But, I can tell you that the bolt is smooth and the trigger is very crisp and easy to adjust. I have it on the lowest (2 lb) setting.

You might want to go to a store and try one for yourself. It'll will probaly be set at about 3-4lbs.

I picked up a Sako 85 Varmint a few days ago.
The problems mentioned on the test rifle are gone on the production rifle.
The trigger is perfect and the pull can now be adjusted without removing the stock.
I have the scope mounted in a "low" Optilock and there are no problems with the ejection.
(This is with hunting style turrets, though).
The Varmint stock is really well build and the felt recoil is significantly lower than from a Sako 75.
It shoots sub 1/2MOA with proper ammo.
I am very pleased with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts