Safety Issue??

theborg

So I am building loads for a .308 bartlein barrel, which consist of 47.5 of reloader 17 under a molly coated 190 SMK. According to alliant 48.5 is max under a naked 185 scenar. The brass is Federal GMM, fired once from an M110, and 2-3X from a SCAR 17. The above recipe is for .308 chambers pressures, and it is being fed into a .308 chamber in brass that started life as .308 brass BUT has been fire formed to a 7.62X51 chamber several times (SCAR 17 and M110 both have military chambers). Is this going to be an over-pressure problem? Do I need to put this load in different brass? Thanks for any input you might have.

If you are going to full length resize the brass before reloading, it should make no difference, but your reloading manual talk about case head separation?
The best way to get case head separation is to go from a sloppy military chamber and then full length resize every time which will thin and weaken the brass at the case head area potentially causing catastrophic failure over time.
In my bolt guns it is my preference to buy a batch of new quality brass to start with, then bump the shoulder back one thousandth with full length die after first firing. Which should minimize overworking the brass. Then when I start to crack necks or get other brass failures I pitch that batch of brass and start over.
I have used once fired military brass thousands of times in 223 with no problems though.
like gohring3006 said start low work up slow!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts