Rust on dies?

Stanm70

I just noticed a super minute amount of rust on some of my dies and wilson trimmer holders. So I promptly ordered some air tight boxes and vci paper. So in the meantime what is a good way to remove rust chemicaly, as I understand it chemicals are the best way to ensure absolutely all rust is removed.....would just plain ol CLR work on redding comp dies? Or would it hurt them?

Thanks,
Connor

Two words. Flitz Polish. Flitz polish quickly removes surface rust and a highly polished surface is more resistant to future rust and if rusting does occur then pitting will be minimized, making future cleanup quicker, easier and more effective.

I store my dies in a sealed .50 cal ammo can, but with humidity where I live being well below 50% on average, there is no rusting of my dies when left on the reloading bench shelf or press for long periods of time.

A good room dehumidifier that dehumidifies your room will relieve the need of desiccant in your ammo storage can. If there is no high humidity air to get into anything, then desiccant is a nonissue. For outside underground storage of any dies or ammo, desiccant plus a sealed can is a good idea.

Flitz case polish will not deactivate primers, so it is also useful for turning old corroded ammo into something that functions flawlessy from magazine fed rifles. When you Flitz polish brass and dies, very little case lube is necessary for resizing.

I now Flitz polish any new brass or pickup brass before resizing. The reduction in force to resize brass is very major, and stuck cases are a thing of the past.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.