Rule of Thumb For Scope Power at Various Ranges?

Cholla

I was curious if there was a rule of thumb matching scope power to yardage for hunting. Something like a recommended scope power at 500 yards is X. The recommended scope power for 800 yards is Y.

I am curious, too. Great question, Cholla! 👍🏼

🔸 One factor in the rule of thumb probably would have to be the size of quarry: If it's a ground hog or a deer makes a difference! 😊

🔸 Another factor probably would need to cover the type of hunting: If it's stalk hunting quarry can suddenly pop up at close range and the critical question then is not so much "How high of a magnification will I need for this shot?" — It will rather be: "How wide of a field of view will I need for this shot?" — in order to allow for rapids target acquisition.

🔸 Another factor is the production date of the hunter's eyes (or more directly, their quality).... Older eyes, say well over 40, usually are helped by higher magnifications.

I'm curious what others recommend and if there is some kind of formula or rule of thumb. 😊

Matthias

For this instance, I would be hunting pronghorn, mule deer, and elk. Usually, they would be seen well off in the distance, and I am 62 years old and wear glasses for reading.

4X power for each 100 yards to target, with adjustable parallax usually works. High of 24 power is still easy to control on top end when hunting. Probably makes quite a bit of difference whether ur target is a nickel at 200 yards or just a cantaloupe.

Last edited:
I've never heard of a rule of thumb, but my old 3x9s were usually at 6 for most hunting situations and if need be adjusted from there, but I dont recall doing that often.
But then, my hunting usually mostly just involves taking my rifle for a nice quiet walk in the woods.

I think mostly, it depends on your eyes and how well YOU see at whatever distance. Also, quality of the optic will have a huge impact.

IMO, there's no real way for any of us to tell you what power to use but one quote that seems to fit is "Aim small, miss small".

Yep, usually when on Deer or Elk hunt 3.5-10X Leupold M3 variable covers most shots. Do have an ol Bauch & Lomb 6-24X on a 7Rem Mag, that will work pretty good prone or off hand.

I've never heard of a rule of thumb, but my old 3x9s were usually at 6 for most hunting situations and if need be adjusted from there, but I dont recall doing that often.
But then, my hunting usually mostly just involves taking my rifle for a nice quiet walk in the woods.

I think mostly, it depends on your eyes and how well YOU see at whatever distance. Also, quality of the optic will have a huge impact.

IMO, there's no real way for any of us to tell you what power to use but one quote that seems to fit is "Aim small, miss small".
ShoNuff

As with anything else, YMMV, Magnification level to X range is a matter of individual preference/need due to the differences in vision quality. For instance, my son shot a target (~10"x10" rock) at 966Y at 5X; I needed 12X, IIRC, to hit the same target. The scope was 5-20 magnification range. I have seen references for 1X for every 100Y; this puts me close to my scenario. If I use the 4X per 100Y, it is perfect for "me" for the 100Y but not at 1000Y (40X). Again, it is just me - the bottom line, adjust accordingly to suit your vision.
4X power for each 100 yards to target, with adjustable parallax usually works. High of 24 power is still easy to control on top end when hunting.
Cheers!

People often get hung up on the phrase.

1682258952650.png

It simply means an approximate method/guide for doing something based on practical experience rather than a theory to be proven; it is merely a set of rules one adheres to. Whether one admits it or not, it exists among us - it's personal.