Ruger M77 Hawkeye rebarrel

wildwilderness

Just checking if I can re barrel a M77 Hawkeye chambered in 300 win mag to 375 Ruger without any problems? Would the magazine feed fine?

Just thinking about making a dangerous game rifle for pennisula Brown bears and Africa/Aussie buffs…

It can probably be done as the action is the same length. It would probably cost less to just buy another rifle in 375 Ruger. Ruger, Savage, and Mossberg all make reasonably priced 375R rifles. For Alaska you might want to consider stainless steel or at least CERA coating everything.

I found a used M77 stainless in 375 Ruger. Easy button so I bought it. Will have to see how it shoots
Good choice, 375 Ruger is a great caliber. I was going to buy one to go to Africa for a Leopard Hunt, but the Guide lost the permit right before I committed. The 375 Ruger, by my research is better that the 375 H&H.

I gave $1200-$1300 for my Ruger African .375 about 3 years ago. They are now just under $1600 from Ruger. I got mine from my local Shooters Supply. I'm not fond of the muzzle brake on it, the __.. thing kicks like a Missouri mule. I also have a WBY .340 with the Accumark brake that kicks about the same as one of my Win 30-30's with no brake. I put a different scope on the .375 and while sighting it in I fired 10 rounds and honestly did not want to squeeze the trigger on the 11th round. Just food for thought.

Yes, it will require virtually a re-barrel and that's it.
Both rounds run 3.340", the diameter, with the belt, run the same.

Cheers.

Good choice, 375 Ruger is a great caliber. I was going to buy one to go to Africa for a Leopard Hunt, but the Guide lost the permit right before I committed. The 375 Ruger, by my research is better that the 375 H&H.
How do you determine better?
Look forward to your answer.

Cheers.

How do you determine better?
Look forward to your answer.

Cheers.
Well maybe "Better" wasn't the correct word and I should have been careful what words to use on this forum because there is always someone that reviews everything that is posted. I should have said that in dozens of reviews/tests on the internet say that the 375 Ruger has a bit more velocity, less recoil, shorter case, more case capacity, easier to reload than the 375 H&H. You also have to compare same barrel lengths and bullet types/weights.
Thanks for correcting me.

Well maybe "Better" wasn't the correct word and I should have been careful what words to use on this forum because there is always someone that reviews everything that is posted. I should have said that in dozens of reviews/tests on the internet say that the 375 Ruger has a bit more velocity, less recoil, shorter case, more case capacity, easier to reload than the 375 H&H. You also have to compare same barrel lengths and bullet types/weights.
Thanks for correcting me.
Wasn't a correction, just a query.
The only downside to a 375H&H is the fact that the brass stretches so bad that 3 sizings and generally the brass is done.
I have had mine re-chambered to 375 Bee…awesome performance, genuine 200+FPS increase over the H&H, albeit with slightly less accuracy. The H&H round is very accurate even with a belt.
Anyway, in a standard length action, the 375 Ruger makes a lot of sense.
On a magnum action, either the Bee or 375 RUM would be my pick.
I have a Kimber Talkeetna in H&H, I won't be changing that, it is my nostalgia rifle.

Cheers.

I went from the Ruger 375 H&H Safari to 375 Ruger Hawkeye for a few reasons. Modern cartridge performance with no belt, reloading case life (as mentioned above), and better reduced power reloads for pigs and deer. The new Hawkeye model weighs quite a bit less that the R77 375, so the recoil is more noticeable. I replaced the factory walnut stock with a Ruger Guide Gun laminated stock and a better recoil pad. Really helps with the recoil and to me the rifle handles so much better.