Ruger Charger/Kidd barrel

sscoyote

Got a Kidd barrel on this Ruger and it shoots great with most KWal-mart bulk stuff. This was at 150 using Fed. Auto Mtch 40 gr. @ 1230 chronoed, and Fed Bulk Value Pack (36 @ 1330--top vertical 3 shots). This is 5-10 from 4:00. I'm loving the combination of this rig with the PFI Rapid Reticle scope for longer range hunting. I'm avging. about 1 MOA with everything @ 100, and 2 MOA at 150 and about 3 MOA @ 200 in above windage conditions. Bet with mtch. ammo and better conditions this rig will 3/4ths that or so. Absolutely could not believe how close the reticle was at 150 and 200 yds.---DEAD NUTS FOR BOTH LOADS--

IMG_1237.jpg

3-9x22LongRifleRapidReticle.jpg

Scopes

Last edited:
Hey thks. Mark--i'd love to but i left it at Ernie's. Was supposed to pick it up when i got there for the MOA shoot, but that ain't happening this year. Right now i'm watching the wife 2nd day out of surgery for shoulder repair. Next year i guess.

Having some fun on a thread over at Sniper's Hide under rimfies. Some guy asked if it was possible to hit a coke can at 250 yards. Here's my reply--

2nd shot at 250 (coke can, bullet hole is at 3:00 on edge of lower silver circle). Fed. Auto Match zeroed for 200 (10x11" steel-1.5 MOA low). Ballistics program called for 30 MOA (9.5 more than the 20.6 MOA Rapid Reticle 200-yd. line). 1st shot was about 3/4 MOA high so brought it down 3 clicks and nailed the sucker. It was filled with sand and it knocked it over and ripped the back of the can.

I figure maybe 40-50% success at that range, maybe less. Brought the rig back to "zero" and shot the 2 shots seen on the 200-yd. steel--maybe 3/4 MOA low.--

IMG_1249.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my writeup on rimfire central for prairie dogs today--

Screw it--i'm headed straight over to the Velocitors (assuming they shoot well). Went prairie dog shooting today for a couple hours and killed maybe 20-30 (Auto-Match), but many crawlers even less than 100 yds. Some of these dogs were taken out to 220 yds. Had a 7:00 wind at 5-15 from a sniping position i took up for awhile, and could easily make hits on the 2nd or 3rd shot at the 200-yd. mark. One spot was concentrated with active dogs at ~180 avg. and even in that wind had maybe 40% 1st shots. The big key is the Rapid Reticle (IMO) on this rig--fast reticle placement is a huge help and follow-up shots are quick to apply using this reticle. Couple of hits were made at 220 using 200-yd. mark and 4 MOA addtl. comeups via turret. 1 dog was particularly fun to shoot. 1st shot was at 180 and he slumped over on the mound and started moving so i thought to shoot again and hit him 2 more times consecutively. I was elated to get that kind of accuracy at that range.

Watching the mirage was a big help too. It was hard to determine what the wind was doing out there since there was a treeline behind me. The boil effect told me very little wind and when the mirage was going completely sideways i figured maybe 10 mph avg. for a 12:00 shot with 15 mph coming from 7-8:00. One 1st shot was dead on the nose at 180 using the 10 mph wind stadia when the mirage was sideways. It was GREAT! Love a good wind call (probably cause i get so few of them).

IMG_1255.jpg

Steve,
Great shooting. I have been looking at replacing the barrel on my Charger for a while now. What length did you go with?

I'll be moving to Denver this summer and look forward to a change from the Mississippi Delta here in Memphis.

Ken CO

Ken-- i used the std. Kidd Charger barrel that's just a 10 incher. I bought it mostly due to the fact that since this is just a hunter i didn't want to put too much into it to get as much as i could out of it. The Kidd is only $110. I just recently put another accessory on it that i like so far called the CTK Monopod. It attaches to the rear swivel stud (once u put one in), and i had no impact or accuracy change with it. It just allows me to get higher in the rear when using a taller bipod--
amlost fully extended--
IMG_1262.jpg

and at lowest setting--

IMG_1265.jpg

Steve,
Thanks for the update. Looks like time to place an order. KID has the barrels on sale at this time. I do like the rear mono pod it would help on set up. I just need to install the rear sling mount now to make it easy to set up.

Ken CO (soon) still in TN

hi steve,
i pray all goes well with your better half and that she recovers better than new.
i really like your rig. how many rounds can you fire in it before the empties start to stick and have some extraction problems. that has been my problem with match chambers in the 10-22 action.
thanks for the info.

Don't know the answer to that 1. I've got probably 200 rounds now through the rig since the last cleaning and it's still running fine for me. Maybe 500 or so since installation.

thanks, maybe it's just the 2-3 barrels that i have, or the action. i have checked with ruger and they said clean it more often. never had that problem with the factory barrel. if you are getting that many rounds thru yours w/o cleaning, i'm sold.

PP--i'm starting to get a few now--switched to the Blazers and they did give me a few FFTF's yesterday in a PD town. I've heard the extractor can be modified a bit that's supposed to help. Here's some groups at 100, 150 and 200 with the rig and the Hornet Tri-mag that Mark mentioned. Killed a dog yesterday at 290 on the 4th shot from the sitting position with stadium seat for back support. It was GREAT!

200903070128291.jpg

200903070130291.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.