Ruger 77 tang safety

gapfriz

I have a older ruger 77 tang safety in 7mm rem mag, and i was told that i could re barrel it with a winchester model 70 barrel, that they are the same size and thread pattern, has anybody else heard this or done it?

Thanks
David F

That wouldn't be very safe.. Same threads but winchesters have several diff thread extensions. If the model 70 barrel was made for a pre 64 has extractor cut,post64 does not.

But to be clear the headspace world not be correct most likely. I doubt the cost of a barrel job is worth more than your face and fingers..

The reason i was asking is i want to move up to a 26 inch 7mm barrel and can't afford a new barrel, and its darn tuff to found a use 26 inch barrel for the ruger 77.

Thanks
David F.

Just save for a new barrel! It makes no sense to install a factory barrel. IMO,,, it's money wasted that could'a/should'a been saved for a barrel that'll shoot as you want it to and be the length that you want.

I have the same rifle, and wasnt happy with how it shot either. But I really liked the rifle and decided to rebarrel it. Im not a rich guy either and had to save my "allowance" till I could afford the job, but all said and done, It was well worth it. I cant (wont) sell the rifle now, as I'll never get my money back out of it, but I know what I have , and am happy with it.
I got a McGowan , 1 in 9 twist, no. 3 contour, Chrome Moly barrel. Its a little heavy but I wasnt making a Mountain hunting rifle.
cheers

Idid one last year in 243with a hart bull barrel in stainlees steel for six. and shoot even better than it did before i wore the barrel out wouldnt sell it cause my dad had give it to me and has sentamintal value

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.