Ruger 300 WM not very tight

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Shane Lindsey, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Shane Lindsey

Shane Lindsey Well-Known Member

Greetings,
    Just got done with a range session. Loaded up some 150 Gr TSXs (with varying seating depths to find the sweet spot) for the 300 WM. Groups were about 1.25-1.5 inches at 100 yds. This is about average for any load with this rifle. Any advice.

The rifle is from 1974. I have given it a face lift-new laminate stock (pillar/glass bedded), cerakoted the blued metal. She looks good, but not the accuracy I had hoped for after the bedding. Trying to avoid any real gunsmithing work (cheapskate).

Any advice to improve accuracy without breaking the bank.

Thanks,
    Shane

2. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

It seems barnes like around .050" jump give or take a bit. My pipes that are pitching barnes want some jump. I would look at more than one powder and more than one bullet weight too. We've had a few ruger 300 win's in the family, and every one has shot, but sometimes not your favorite LR bullet. My Dad has one at present that'll do well with a 150 hornady fb, and that's it. Two-three inch groups with most other combo's seating depth and powder be damned.
    If you want to try something a bit different that'll still get out rather well, try a 165 hornady fb with 78gr. rl22 and a 215 in ww brass at standard oal.. I've killed a bunch of deer with the load and it's worked well in a number of rifles. My browning will do 1/2 moa with it regularly.