ruger #1

stephen

I am looking at purchasing a Ruger #1, in 300 Win.mag. What type of accuracy can I truly expect from it, without a great deal of custom work.

Ruger factory are very strange with regular body dims but often very very deep throat not really good for accuracy
a N°1 is a classic rifle but making something accurate is lot of work and money are surely without the factory barrel

perhaps if you careful rechamber in longer case as 300 Wea or 300 RUM you canclean th eRuger chamber and improved the problem

As hunting rifle that OK

good shooting

DAN TEC

At "least" 1/2 to 3/4 MOA should be very easy with a good custom barrel, probably better. If my #1 .378 WBY shot in the .4's to .6's with 300gr Barnes X bullets at 3000 fps in a heavy Duglas barrel, I'm sure they're more than capable of better. This gun freakin recoiled too!!
shocked.gif

I can identify with the recoil ssue, Brent! My #1 378 bruised my old bod on a ergular basis. Really needed a brake which I prefer to avoid. I finally sold it to a friend who did have a brake installed.

My current #1 is a 500 Nitro Express. Great short-range hunting rifle that is just a hoot to drop the hammer on.

I think Ruger #1s can be very accurate, but as mentioned, they can be finicky. seems to be an individual thing.

I'd really like to try another one with a 30" tube tossing some kind of 33 calibre pill around the prairie.

BTW, anyone wanting a great trigger in their #1 should give the Kepplinger a look. Single set, light and clean. I like it a lot better than the Moyers so commonly seen.

Stephen,

I had a #1S in 300 WM as my long range big game rifle for over a decade. The rife was capable of MOA with the load that came with it and there was no reason to fool around with that!.

I finally sold it as the trigger pull was rough. An old M 70 was offered to me in 300 mag so I have that now.

i have a ruger #1 in 257 roberts and like it alot...reminds me of holding a good shotgun. took a little fiddling with the forearm tension but will shoot .5 moa at 100 meters with 117gr sierra spbt's and healthy doses of H414...getting about 3000fps out of the factory 26" tube...trigger sucks but is managable.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.