Ruger #1 in 6.5-284 Review

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews - Discussion' started by ADMIN, Nov 15, 2013.

1. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Ruger #1 in 6.5-284 Review, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

2. Dirtrock

Dirtrock Member

I love the No1. Now I have an excuse to get a new one. Give my son my the 243 No1, my daughter the model70 243wssm, and my self the new Ruger . Now how to pay for it.:rolleyes:

3. olsingleshot

olsingleshot Well-Known Member

I shot a 8pt with this rifle on 11-12-13 at 150+ yards. He dropped like a rock, one shot. I could not find entrance or exit on hide. I was aiming high shoulder. That is why I like Bergers. John Johnston

4. olsingleshot

If you want a #1 in 6.5x284 I suggest you get as soon as you can. Like the 6.5 Creedmoor, it may be a one year run.

5. Dirtrock

Dirtrock Member

I shot my 4X4 muley with my 243 No1 at 167yds, with the bergers 95gr hvld, recovered the jacket on the opposite side between the skin and hide. Very impressed with the bullet. :D

6. Varberger757

Varberger757 Well-Known Member

Thank you for a very good and detailed review! Personally, I do love all these slick, handy and precise falling blocks like the Ruger #1 or single shot break actions. :) You made the Ruger #1 indeed real tempting for me. Calibre wise I'd prefer 7mm or maybe a 30R Blaser. gun)

7. olsingleshot

Ruger has definitely got it together on the #1. I have owned a few older models that were not quite as accurate as the ones coming out lately. I have shot a lot of single shot rifles, that is how I got the nickname "Olsingleshot". I prefer the falling block action in comparison to the break open. I find the falling block more accurate. Maybe that is because you do not need to take it off the rest to reload. The Sharps I owned was extremely accurate. The Wickliffe I own is another accurate falling block. I have found that for me ,personally, the #1 does not handle recoil well in bigger calibers, especially in magnum calibers. But that is for me and it may not bother you.

8. Varberger757

Varberger757 Well-Known Member

That one, I really like especially good! :) You're right about recoil etc. All single shots in calibres from 7 RM upwards do need decent muzzle brakes. I will seriously consider purchasing a Ruger # 1 in future times, got inspired. Hopefully is Ruger going to expand for some popular European rounds not just the (boring) 7x57.

9. olsingleshot

I really do not know. They try out different calibers to see what people want and what dealers can sell. Browning does the same thing but call it "Shot Show Specials".The 6.5-284 is a very popular caliber for long range, hunting and target shooting. So maybe if enough are sold it will stay. Like all good businesses Ruger produces what it can sell. Most European calibers have not been too popular in the U.S.

10. Rodmaster59

Rodmaster59 New Member

I've been waiting for this rifle to come out all year!when are they going to become available? Haven't been able to find one. Any idea's

11. olsingleshot

I know they have not made a lot of these. A lot of dealers don't even know they are in the catalog. Ask your dealer to order you one. If I hear of any dealers who have one I will let you know.

12. olsingleshot

13. tinker man

tinker man Member

I have 3 #1s in 270 my first, 375 H&H, and 300 win mag. and after reading this article will buy another one. I was not impressed with the 300. until I found out that my problem was the scope. I was sure that it could not be the Leupold as I have used them for years. My best shot was with the 270, 400+ yds.

14. benchracer

benchracer Well-Known Member

It looks like Ruger got the twist rate right, something that seems to elude most other manufacturers when it comes to the 6.5's. Half inch accuracy from a factory rifle is also pretty impressive.

On the con side of the ledger, though, is the LOW velocity of the accuracy loads. I don't see the point of shooting a 6.5-284 at 6.5x55 speeds. I don't know if this is a reflection of the rifle or the loads assembled by the author of the article.

I have a Ruger #1A in 7x57 and love it. I have a 6.5x55 in a modern action and love it. From what the author has shown, however, it looks like he took the long way around to get 6.5x55 performance.