Roy's New Baby

The day has been a good one. And a bit funny at times.

I took the 375 AM to kids for a chance to shoot it this afternoon.

Be for dinner I contacted LRSickle who wanted to see it. He came over with his lovely and good shootin' wife.

Neither he or I must be the smartest beets on the truck:rolleyes: as the conversation regarding the NXS went something like this.

He said, "I also have an NXS on one of mine."

I thinks 'I can ask this fellow how to light the reticle without too much embarrassment.'

So I ask him, "How do you turn on the lumination?"

He responds "It's illuminated?"

I say that's what they tell me and I posted about that one day the the guys got all over my case for being so dumb."

So he tweaked some knobs. I tweaked some knobs. Then I pulled on the focus and "CLICK", we looked at each other pretty much in amazement.

LR immediately looks through the scope and his grin got bigger than big.:D

LR then says, as they have to hurry to mom's house for dinner, "I'm going to have to stop by the house and see if mine does this." His wife says, "I knew you were going to say that!":)

We had quite a laugh!

Anyway, I got to shoot "Big and Green" as she was labeled by MT4X when he sent me a PM w/pics he posted.

We got to the spot that LRSickle pointed us to but DUH! it was full of cattle. Thus I couldn't shoot or set targets set targets in the direction I wished.

My goal was get the first shot through it to see how much of a monster this beast actually is. It IS big and it is green and it is massively impressive. The large PainKiller brake makes on lookers bug eyed.

Kirby said it was pleasant to shoot. Kirby appears to be a fairly large and solid fella compared to my out of shape bridle bag of bones. The cartridges with the 350 SMK dwarfs anything I have including the 270 AM cartridge. Makes one wonder "is this gonna hurt?"

I rolled out the shooting mat on the ancient railroad bed and shot up hill away from the Salt Lake instead of in to the cattle down hill towards the lake.

I did some things wrong as I was more concerned about missing cows than I was about hitting something in particular. I don't have a bipod on it so I shoot off of the orange Hoppe's rest. That isn't a bad thing but I didn't remove the sling studs and placed them straddle the sand bag.

I shot 3 shots. The first was for the experience. The next two were to verify the surprising experience of the first shot.

As the forearm didn't slide on the front rest, due to the sling studs, the rest came up a bit with each shot. However I was able to spot all three shots. One at 60 yds and two out towards 1k, in spite of the jump. I spotted the hits in the bottom of the scope as it came up. The 350 grain bullet seems to have a very similar time of flight as the 169.5 WC in the AM. (The 169.5's MV is only maybe 150 fps more than the 350's) Which may be why I saw the impacts in the bottom of the scope as it was rising from the front rest arrangement.

Recoil, that's what surprised me. Or the lack of it. I may be nuts in my thinking but I'd give this one a bit less or at least on the order of the recoil of my 270 AM with the DE brake and maybe on the order of 10 times less recoil of my 10 lb 338 RUM with 300 Hybrids/SMKs. Utterly amazing! As Kirby stated, Fun, Fun, Fun!

I have been so used to run of the mill components that upgrades like this brake and the Jewell trigger have opened a whole new experience. And I really like it.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna switch to PainKiller brakes on my other rifles and will for certain go the Jewell trigger route.

I sent her home to Idaho with my son this evening. He'll give a good cleaning and put it dry lay up for awhile. I'll spend some time here preping bullets and loading the 100 rounds of brass. I'll see her again in the spring of 2012 and prep for the hunting season.

Having something to look forward too sure ain't a bad thing!!!!! Whoo Hooo....... I'm pumped! Talk about sweet dreams!!

Last edited:
Roy, I am happy you had such a wonderful experience with your new girl! But dang, spring 2012!! I sure hope you don't experience separation anxiety! Dont suppose a quick trip to Idaho for a visit would be in the cards would it? I suppose wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving would be unnecessary now, sounds like you had a really happy one. Now, about those special purpose boolits you are working on................ Are you gonna make any in .338? Hint, hint!!

Take care and God Bless

Jim

Good to see you found the shooting spot OK.
What a sweet gun you have! I was especially impressed with the trigger.
When I got home I hurried to my safe and tried the reticle on my Nightforce. Sure enough it lit up. All this time and I had no idea. Cool :cool:.

Don't feel bad about the lighted reticule Roy. I didn't know I had one till one of the guys that work with me pointed it out. He turned it on and said boy those lighted reticules are sure nice. I just grinned and said Yup. Took me an hour to figure out how to turn it off and on again after he left. I still haven't figured out how to change the battery as nothing comes loose when I turn it. :)

Congratulations Roy,

I can't wait to finally get my hands on mine here this Spring.

Congratulations Roy,

I can't wait to finally get my hands on mine here this Spring.

Imma tollayou dis: After you get over/through oogling over it especially its signficant magnitude of both the rig and the cartrige then you'll get to shoot it.

The first thing you'll notice is the pleasantness of the shooting experience, SWEET!

The very next unexpected thrill will be the significance of the short time of flight out to 1K and beyond. I've been shooting a 270 AM for a couple of years and was unexpectedly surprised by the short time of bullet flight of the high bc bullet launched at 3300 fps.

Immatollayou anoder big-a-ting: For some reason the very similar bullet flight time as the 270 AM was very unexpected. IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Watch many of the videos of lesser cartridge shots and note the time of flight. Wow!

The only similar expectations you will have had is between the wedding and that night.:D

Gee Roy, I really didn't know you were Italian!!

Yep!

The wild Itralian, Italian Stallion, passionate piizon!

While on the USS Enterprise all I was ever known by was "WOP" finally became "The Wop"

Remember HeeHaw w/Roy Clack and pals?

Well one day they crossed an Italian with a mermaid.......

Guess what they got?
Carp!

I'm Italian enough to get away with those kinds of jokes.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.