Roundup, MT Prairie Dogging?

sourdough44

I plan to visit a buddy in Helena, MT in June, mostly fishing. A secondary plan is a little dogging, I don't mind paying some for access. I'm not really looking for high end lodging, meals & the open bar.

Right now looking within 3 hours or so from Helena, Roundup could even be further, no biggie. He's expanding his search also, has a few local contacts.

I plan to visit another in Salt Lake later, as another option, how about near I-80 in WY on the way back?

I know it's a long shot, just throwing it out there.

I have driven by Roundup a few times. There definitely are dog towns in the area but have no idea of how to access them. I know there is at least one Outfitter in the area---try a Google search.
Good luck.
Bill

There are a variety of rodents on both sides (N&S) of Rt 12 heading to Roundup - the problem is access. Just W & SW of Roundup there is B Land M land with access via paved roads. No prairie dogs but some gophers - an intensive search might find rockchucks & other shootable rodents. The area on the west side of Dead Man's basin is also worth a look.

I have a Honey hole for ya ! It's about 45 min from Helena but its gophers and lots of them . I typically took a table and opened it set up my rest and guns /ammo ...carried a lunch and had a great day Wacking them !
Lots smaller targets but a ton of fun !
I would take 22 cal and up. Lots of ammo to !
Everytime we went the Rancher would stop and thank us ! Lol always the White flat bed Chevy ! He always said ..shoot all them critters ..just dont shoot my Cow's !

Send me a pm and I will help ya out if you like !

Rum Man

My dad and I have shot on a couple ranches near Roundup on and off for the last 20 years. My dad does a lot of the work and maintains relationships with the land of owners.

Most of the access we have gotten has been word of mouth. We carried a couple cases of water and loaded them in a car for an older lady at a gas station and that lead to like 50,000 acres.

As far as I80 in Wyoming there is a lot of driving around and shooting a couple at a time. Gophers and pdogs tend to be shot at from the truck all the time around here but you can be fairly productive if you walk a little bit.

Keep an eye for these, this was 15 minutes from Roundup, luckily I didn't get bit but should have.

Attachments

• IMG_3239.jpeg
    IMG_3239.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 153
I plan to visit a buddy in Helena, MT in June, mostly fishing. A secondary plan is a little dogging, I don't mind paying some for access. I'm not really looking for high end lodging, meals & the open bar.

Right now looking within 3 hours or so from Helena, Roundup could even be further, no biggie. He's expanding his search also, has a few local contacts.

I plan to visit another in Salt Lake later, as another option, how about near I-80 in WY on the way back?

I know it's a long shot, just throwing it out there.
Between Cheyenne and Wheatland along I -25 is pretty much solid dog towns. Don't know if you can get access, but the dogs are there.

There is a lot of BLM land all around Roundup. Get OnX if you don't have it. Some landowners will allow access if you ask or may point you in the right direction.
You can't shoot sage rats and P.D on BLM.
Better check your regs before you head out instead of assuming.

Recent Posts