Round count.

Well, 5 would be a good minimum. Some bullets just won't shoot. As far as a maximum, 1 box. If I can't get any groups within 5 sets of 5 with graduating powder charges, then I'll usually give up pretty quickly. No sense fighting components.

How many rounds should some one shoot before given up on a given bullet?
Varies with how badly I want the bullet to shoot. If I really want it to work, and its showing some promise (under 1" @100) I may try another powder and or primer. I would never let it go over a box of bullets unless I was close and thought I could get there. I've never had much trying to force a rifle to shoot a bullet it just didn't like. A good example is my new 28N. I was bound and determined to shoot 175ABLR's. It just wasn't having it. It will shoot them about 3/4MOA at best no matter what. It shoots 162ELDX's lights out.

Depends on how many powders you want to try. I only like to use 1 powder for some cartridges so if I do a full work up and it still shoots like crap I don't bother with it. Others take longer because I might use 3-4 powders

Depends on how many powders you want to try. I only like to use 1 powder for some cartridges so if I do a full work up and it still shoots like crap I don't bother with it. Others take longer because I might use 3-4 powders
Yes i agree. My long range set up is a custom 338 edge. And most people seem to use 300 gr. otm and h1000. Its hard to find data on lighter rounds because that caliber shoots lights out with that recipe.

Don't exceed a box, you'll just regret. If the barrel is broke in I'd be leery of going past 50 without some decent results. I don't understand why but some barrels just like certain bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.