rough remington 700 action

yzm19

i have a friend that has a remington 700 sps300wsm. he says that the action when worked is not as smooth as mine(nothing done to smooth mine). he has herd about having a gunsmith sleeve the bolt but is not sure about who or if he wants to do that. also has herd about fluteing the bolt to smooth itand lighten it. has anyone done there for this reason or are there better ideas out there. any ideas on who to email or call also would help.
thanks for you input guys

I am not sure what its called but I saw it done on youtube with a tool from midway usa.

I think what they were doing is sanding the feed rails and bolt raceways to smoth up the bolt.

I am no smith but I think this is something you can do yourself I am sure one of the other guys can give you a better awnser just my thoughts

I would not recomend sanding on the rails .

If his remingtion is one of the matt black actions with the bolt also with the black finish
this is the problen.

All of the sps's have this type of finish and it needs to be removed by polishing or jeweling.

I prefer to jewel the bolt because it looks better and holds oil better.

If he leaves it allone it will get better with wear (Break In ).

J E CUSTOM

My Remington action was the same, so I popped a movie in the DVD player and I cycled the bolt through the whole movie. Worked great and no more sticking.

A bolt race, bolt lugs and body can be easily lapped. It will mar the original finish and require repolishing and or jeweling if desired. I prefer a glass beaded finish on the bolt. Caution should be taken about lapping the lugs as this will change the headspacing. As a gunsmith I would never lap bolt without removing the action from the barrel. Never use sand paper on any bolt or action without it turning in a lathe.

Rustystud

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.