Rossi Tuffy for small game easy packer

mcseal2

I just picked up a Rossi Tuffy 22LR/410 yesterday and thought I'd do a quick review for anyone interested in a lightweight gun to throw in for scouting trips and such.

It is a nickel plated single shot that comes with 2 18.5" barrels, a 3" chamber 410 shotgun and a 22LR barrel with fiber optic open sights.

Specs are as follows according to my postage scale
Reciever, stock, forend 2lbs .5oz 14" from butt to reciever front
22LR barrel 1lb 10oz 18.5"
410 barrel 1lb 3.9oz 18.5" modified choke

I got the chance to shoot it a little this morning. The length of the stock is extremely short and barely allows a traditional hold. I actually found that I could get a better sight picture tucking the butt against my chest rather than my shoulder. That said, it really wasn't bad to shoot accurately. I didn't do any bench testing but took it for a walk through the woods while working and put 40 rounds of 22LR through it. I brought a 12oz can and an 8oz can with me that were left in the feed truck (somebody had a red beer) for targets. After a bit of sight adjustment I started off hand shooting. I found that I could make 15yd hits on the beer can and 10yd hits on the 8oz can every time. Hedge balls the size of a grapefruit were easy to hit at 30yds. A sparrow at 20ft also fell. It isn't great accuracy, but it is enough to be a fun plinker or to take small game if necessary.

I haven't tested the 410 barrel but expect that to be a better choice if I intend to take small game with it rather than plinking. With a modified choke and 3" 4 shot I'd think rabbits and squirrels would be easy pickings.

The trigger isn't great by any means but is adequate. I think a little stoning would increase my accuracy with the rifle barrel greatly.

All in all I like it, it packs smaller than the AR-7 I looked at they had with it and is adequate for small game. It cost $160 and is a real basic design to keep operating in the field. More detail can be found on Rossi's website but for some reason they only show the shotgun only version. Online stores will show the 22LR also.

The rifle barrel is tapped for a scope mount, but it does not include one. I called Rossi and they said they are out currently but a Weaver 92A is the aftermarket option. I'm going to order one and stick a 1x scope on it to see how accurate it really shoots.

Just an update, shot the 410 barrel today. You don't want to tuck down to tight on it for many shots with 3" loads or your cheek gets sore from being popped. Other than that it worked good, and once I raised my head a little was comfortable. It hit a little low at 20yds, I'd have to aim at the bottom of a rabbit to hit it. All in all I prefer the 22 barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.