Rookie Question

bnvldz

I have a batch of ammo that I have loaded up with some Berger bullets for my 270 WSM. I no longer want to shoot these loads and want to use different powder. Is it ok to extract these bullets and reuse them or do I need to use new bullets. Also, since I would be extracting these bullets would I have to resize my casings since I believe setting the bullet may stretch the tip of the casing. Not sure if it does so I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance!

The bullets are perfectly fine to reuse. You'll get a couple different answers on the brass. Me personally, I would run it through a sizer if it's not one that's working the brass a whole lot.

You are ok to pull the bullets and reuse them. I have an inertia puller (the one that is used like a hammer) and what I do is stuff a piece of packing foam in the end, so when the bullet comes out and slams into the end, it doesn't damage the tip of the bullet. This is especially important for poly tipped bullets, such as the Hornady's, as they get pretty deformed. If they hit hard enough, the tip of the Bergers can get closed off, preventing expansion on an animal.

As far as the casings, it can change neck tension, so if you are loading for load developement or a match, I would neck size them to ensure all things are equal. If you are just loading ammo to practice or bang steel with, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have done it and not noticed any discernible difference out to 800 yards when just playin around shooting steel.

I do the same thing as Cody just stated on that rare occasion when I have to pull bullets. Works for me. cw

If you find yourself pulling more than a few bullets now and then, consider getting a grip-n-pull. It's about the best. Leaves the powder conveniently in the case, doesn't deform the end of the bullet, and is faster than the hammer type Cody talks about.

Standard Rifle GRIP-N-PULL Bullet Puller (Calibers 17, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 and 30) - GRIP-N-PULL

Grip-N-Pull has been the best for me. I had the other types that didn't compare. I neck size if I've pulled bullets from brass. If you're recharging with a different powder, be sure all the previous powder is out of the cases. I use a flashlight and a shot of compressed air to free up any kernels stuck in the case. Good luck

There is really no reason to resize.
The only thing gripping bullets is brass spring back from bullet seating expansion to begin.
When you pull a bullet you can measure & see this, as the necks will spring back to interference fit.
When you seat bullets back into those necks you will again expand the necks, with their counter spring back gripping bullets just the same as before.

This is where you get to learn that sizing any greater than spring back, is purely excessive, contributing no more to the function.

I had a hammer type bullet puller for years. It took a lot of pounding trying to pull light bullets.
My choice for pulling bullets now it the Hornady Bullet puller.
Its principal fits my mind as how a puller should work. Adjust it snug on the bullet, As the pull begins the collet pulls tighter till bullet is pulled.

I would resize the neck on the case just to be sure of getting the same bullet tension on the new loads. Be sure to raise or remove the decapping pin if you want to to save the primers for your new loads.

I use the Hornady bullet puller too. Saves the powder from flying all over the place, not as noisy, and I find it much quicker to use. You just have to play with it at first. I raise the ram with a shell in it just until it gets snug in the die, then flip the lever over which grabs the bullet. Then lower the ram and put your hand under the bullet puller to catch the bullet when you move the lever back over. Doesn't leave a mark on the bullet unless you really push hard on the lever on top of the tool. After two or three, you will know how much pressure to apply.
I would resize the mouth of the case, after removing the depriming stem from your sizing die.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.