Rocking R Ranch Trail Camera Thread

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Rocking R Ranch, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Rocking R Ranch

Rocking R Ranch Well-Known Member

We still have some openings for 2nd and 3rd season rifle this year. My contact information is listed below.
    The elk are looking great. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. Rocking R Ranch

More Bulls

Attached Files:

3. Rocking R Ranch

Last Group

Attached Files:

4. cohunter14

cohunter14 Well-Known Member

Great pics Dan! It is difficult to tell, but where are you placing the majority of your trail cams? Are they mainly on some smaller meadows? Just curious as you are getting some really good pics. Might be able to learn a thing or two from you :)

5. Rocking R Ranch

I placed them in different types of terrain. Some are on ponds, some on wallows. I also placed a few on heavily used game trails. The camera on the meadow is not nearly as productive as the other cameras. Its also the lowest camera on the ranch. Water is key during the summer since the elk frequent those areas most often.

6. cohunter14

cohunter14 Well-Known Member

Gotcha. It was tough to tell on some of those, so I appreciate it!

7. Rocking R Ranch

This will most likely be the last trail camera update. Archery season opens a week from Saturday so we will start to be very quiet and avoid running around the ranch unnecessarily. I was only able to pull half of the cameras because of time but I thought I would post some pictures from those cameras.
    We still have a few 2nd season hunts left.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

8. Rocking R Ranch

The mature bulls are starting to show up as hard horned.

Attached Files:

9. Unofficial Gun Addict (UGA)

Unofficial Gun Addict (UGA) Well-Known Member

Gorgeous pictures Dan! I can't believe the color, resolution, and clarity. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of trail cams did you go with and do you get a lot of false shots for branches blowing in the wind, or are they setup to snap pics at specific time frames? Also... Do they capture in the dark? I notice it's a moultrie... But wondering how deep I'd need to dig to get images that look that good.

Pros... Cons?

Really been thinking about going this route for some coyote trails I hunt, but my friend has had no luck with his cam and his images look really pathetic. Wasn't sure I wanted to drop money on a cam, but after seeing your images, I have a renewed interest.

Thanks... And again... Looks great. Wish I had the cash... I'd come up and join you all for a hunt!

10. Rocking R Ranch

Most of my cameras are the Moultrie M80's. I have been very happy with these. The picture quality is great. I also have some Bushnell's, which I like, but not as much as the Moultries. I have one Primos Truth Cam that I absolutely hate. Remember to place your cameras in a position where the sun won't shine directly into it during prime time hours. Also, you will get quite a few false pictures of trees and weeds blowing in the wind. There really is no way around that. It takes me quite a while to go through all of the images when I pull the cards. But, I figure that's just part of the process.
    Thanks.