Rockchucker for the RUM case?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Partagas, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Partagas

Partagas Active Member

I am using a rcbs partner or jr press. There just isn't enough room to work with the 338 rum especially now that I am working up some 300smk loads. I can find used rockchuckers pretty easy and wonder if they can handle the extra length? Or should I be looking at the supreme or maybe a redding big boss?

2. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

The introduction of the RUM's promulgated the new generation of larger presses. You'll like the Big Boss.

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I have both of the presses you are talking about and the rockchucker will work for the RUM

4. britz

britz Well-Known Member

If memory serves: the Rock Chucker IV has a slightly longer stroke than the Redding Big Boss. I just purchased the RCIV and that was the reason I chose it over the big boss. However, I think the Redding presses are a little better made.

5. txlongrange

txlongrange Well-Known Member

I concur. The Rockchucker will work; however, when using the longer bullets you cannot simply place the bullet in the neck with the case in the shellholder. I have to hold the bullet in the case and slide it up into the bottom of the die then into the shellholder when loading a 300g SMK in a 338 Edge. But it really isn't an issue.

TXLR

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I use an RCBS Jr. for 338 RUM and 270 AM with no problems whatever.

I've just purchased a Rochchucker Supreme for another purpose but will be using it to reload the AM. We'll see how she works.

7. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

My method also and works fine for me. If I really wanted to spend money on a new press the Redding UltraMag would get serious consideration.

8. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

+1, I'd choose the UltraMag as well.

AJ

9. Spanners

Spanners Well-Known Member

I use a Boss press (the small one) for my 300 RUM 208 A-max no probs.