RL26 vs. RETUMBO. . .your experiences please.

I appreciate all the info guys, but I'm still beating my head against a wall with my 280AI, 168 LRAB's and RL26 powder. The previous 2 weekends we've had temps in the 50's/60's in the mornings when I would shoot. Weekend 1 over 45 shots I was averaging 2977 fps ES/SD 21/12 with 1" 5 shot groups. Weekend 2 a tad warmer mid 60's, average over 30 shots was 2991 fps ES/SD 19/8 with 5/8" groups. Now Saturday (yesterday morning) our temps were high 70's to low 80's I shot 40 rounds and my average was 3028 fps ES/SD 24/13 with 1 1/2" groups!!! These LRAB are more than likely what is torquing my patients the most. . .my rifle is a rag-hole shooter with 162 gr. A-max's, but I wanted to change to a "better constructed" bullet. Not happy so far.

On another note. I went and picked up a jug of RETUMBO. I used my junk Rem brass to kinda test the waters with a load . . .62.5 grains was a for sure max load, velocity was not what I was hoping for, 61.5 grains had good pressure at 2802 fps 10 shot average with ES/SD of 17/6, but groups were 1 1/2". I went back in the house and loaded some up in Norma brass and dropped the seating depth down .010" everything else the same and shot a 3/8" to 1/2" sized 5 shot rag hole. . .and did this 4 times!!! In the Norma brass, over the 20 shots my velocity went to an average of 2768 fps ES/SD 15/7. The velocity sucks but my groups are where I like them. I feel that I may have some wiggle room in the Norma brass, so I'm going to bump them up in .5 grain increments until I hit pressure and see were my velocity goes. I'll also see what happens temp wise as well over the next few weeks, maybe we'll get some more cooler days.

Basically I got spoiled with RL26 and other various bullets. . .now I gotta come back to reality I guess - LOL. I'm going to keep playing around and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your reply's.

In my 280 AI I'm running 62.6 grains of Retumbo, Fed 215M, 168 Berger CH in REM brass out of a 26" Brux barrel right at 3K with exceptional accuracy.

This is a group shot at 550 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 106
That's interesting. I don't see the swings with H1000 or Retumbo as I do the RL-26. I do get some amazing velocities with it. I am working with a load for my 7WSM that's below Alliants max that's sending 180 VLDs @ 3040 fps. The other load was with 168s was around 3250. This was near the max load. The first time I shot it it,no presssure signs. A week later, pretty much same weather, stiff bolt and cratered primers. I didn't believe the speeds, checked it with another magnetospeed.

Jay

I was rather surprised to see my 7 WSM send a 160 Accubond out the muzzle at 3,200 ft/sec with a load of RE26. I did not see any indication of high pressure but it sure made me think I should back down the charge.

No experience with this powder at varying temperatures.

I shot the 180 VLDs load this morning. It shot great, a couple of groups in the .3s. It was around 3045. My buddy has 280AI his go to load was 62.5 Retumbo. It shot Very well around 2840. He tried 26 got some crazy velocities. He shot the load again and had pressure issues. He has since backed it down.

Jay

In my 280 AI I'm running 62.6 grains of Retumbo, Fed 215M, 168 Berger CH in REM brass out of a 26" Brux barrel right at 3K with exceptional accuracy.

This is a group shot at 550 yards.

That is a SHWAAAEEEET group there for 550 yds. ! ! ! I was able to squeeze and crunch 63.3 grains of RETUMBO in a Norma case before medium pressure signs. So far my load is 62 grains at 2.710" to ogive on a 168 Noz LRAB at 2830 fps. Five 5 shot groups have consistantly printed 1/2" at 100 yds. for me today. Next weekend I'll see about stretching it's legs to 500 yds. . .I've read some people getting great groups at 100 only to find out at distance their groups go to hell with these LRAB's. We'll see.

I shot the 180 VLDs load this morning. It shot great, a couple of groups in the .3s. It was around 3045. My buddy has 280AI his go to load was 62.5 Retumbo. It shot Very well around 2840. He tried 26 got some crazy velocities. He shot the load again and had pressure issues. He has since backed it down.

Jay

I am playing right now (killing time between shot strings for a cool barrel) and I'm about on par with your friend. It sucks that the RL26 gets squirrelly, because I sure do hate giving up that extra 100+/- fps and trajectory. But I much rather have the dependability/confidence in my loads. I shoot the RL26 in my little 6.5x55 Swede and it make that little gun shine. . .2840 fps with 140 gr. A-Max's with stupid silly little bug hole groups!!! I think I'll stick with the RETUMBO for a while though.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts