RL22 Temp Sensitivity findings

I shoot Rl 22 in my 338 and last time I chronoed it she was shooting 225 accubonds at 3304 and the temp was 65 degrees.

Went out yesterday and chronoed it again for an upcoming hunt and the temp was a balmy 36 degrees. Speed was 3297 average. Not too bad! I've seen H1000 lose more than 7 fps in temp swings.

Ok , i have RL-22 and H-1000 powders for my 300 RUM , I have tried both and the RL-22 made a group of .5'' @100 yards ,and the
H-1000 about .75'' @100 yards, both in warm temp. Now where I live and hunt the temps dont get too hot but they get very cold so in your opinions what should I use ? I personally wanted to use the RL-22 because of its great accuarcy, but I dont want some thing that could be dangerous on a hot day.

Last edited:
Ok , i have RL-22 and H-1000 powders for my 300 RUM , I have tried both and the RL-22 made a group of .5'' @100 yards ,and the
H-1000 about .75'' @100 yards, both in warm temp. Now where I live and hunt the temps dont get too hot but they get very cold so in your opinions what should I use ? I personally wanted to use the RL-22 because of its great accuarcy, but I dont want some thing that could be dangerous on a hot day.

Neither should be dangerous on a hot day so long as you didnt develop the loads in 20 degree air and take it to 120 degrees. Also it depends on how hot your loads are to begin with. Either powder should be fine from cool to semi hot temps (30-85 degrees).

Last edited:
i would shoot both in colder temps to see which is best. you're in Canada and colder would be the norm. i've hunted a fair amount in Saskatewan and i was more concerned with the POI and of course, if it would go bang.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.