RL-33 in 7mm Rem Mag w/ 175-180 gr Bullets

curtiscd

Has anyone given Rl-33 a run pushing the heavier for 7 rem mag bullets? If so, please share pertinent info and results. I'm curious about velocity gains over Retumbo, but more importantly accuracy.

Has anyone given Rl-33 a run pushing the heavier for 7 rem mag bullets? If so, please share pertinent info and results. I'm curious about velocity gains over Retumbo, but more importantly accuracy.

I tried it for a while and actually had decent success. I was pushing 180 VLDs at around 3150 fps, which is about 100 fps over my retumbo max. Once I ran out of 33 I switched back to retumbo and stayed. It was a fun experiment, though.

I actually killed a decent brown bear with that load. I put a 180 in his chest at 200 yards. DRT. Massive damage.

I must have slow barrels.

When using RL33, my 7 STW pushed 180 VLDs at 3225 max, accuracy load 3080. My 7-300 WM max 3125, accuracy load 3075. Both have 26 inch barrels.

My 7RM has a 24 inch barrel. RL33 topped out at 2990 with the most accurate load running 2900. The max load was fairly compressed.

I can reproduce very similar to the same velocities with Retumbo. I stuck with RL33 in the STW, Retumbo in the 7-300, and IMR 7828 in the 7RM as those were the most accurate powder in each rifle. I also bumped down to 168s in the 7 RM.

Also, Retumbo does appear to be much more temp stable than the other two. I saw 0.4fps/*F change with Retumbo, 1.0fps/*F with RL33, and 1.3fps/*F with 7828. If the powder produces a wide node in a rifle that is not a big deal, but with a narrow node it makes a bunch of difference if shooting at distance.

I played with Vit N570 last summer and got very similar results. I have both a STW and a RM. Both Senderos. I think 180 VLD are most happy/stable around 3000 to 3050. I'm right under 3000 in the RM and its crazy accurate. I just could not get the 195 VLD to shoot better then 1MOA in the STW. Barrel in STW was tired enough so I ordered a 30 finished Med Palma fluted 1:8.25 twist. Going to long throat it for the 195 as I have a 4 inch Wyatt's. It's at Straight Shot Gunsmithing now.

jjw
ND

Thanks everyone. I'm in the process of working up a load for the 175 Elite Hunters. So far 67.4 gr H-1000 is just inside 1/2 moa. I'm going to work up w/ RL-33 to see if I can eek out a little more velocity and find the next node. I'd really like to see 3000 fps.

I have been testing RL23 with a Criterion 26" Remage and 180gr ELD-M bullets. Today I went out and shot five three shot groups at 100 yards. It was a balmy 36 degrees with wind blowing directly towards the target. I did a small batch of chrono results up to 61 grains showing accuracy potential. 61 grains gave me 2860 fps. Today I did 61-62.2 in .3 grain increments. I'm going to play with seating depth at 61.6-61.9 grain area, currently 0.030" off. Will do a larger batch hopefully tomorrow and go back to the magnetospeed to get velocities and confirm at 300.

I know it's not 33, and I may be leaving some velocity out there but it's showing great accuracy potential and I've always used RL22 in my 7mm mags.

SHM

Attachments

• IMG_20170330_191833777.jpg
    IMG_20170330_191833777.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 156
61.8gr RL23 gave me 2887 average for five shots and an ES of 14, SD under 6, so that's where I finished. It's working great for me. Just food for thought..

SHM

67-68.5 grains of RL26 with 180 ELD was giving me 2925 to 3000 plus in a 25" barrel.

I have been testing RL23 with a Criterion 26" Remage and 180gr ELD-M bullets. Today I went out and shot five three shot groups at 100 yards. It was a balmy 36 degrees with wind blowing directly towards the target. I did a small batch of chrono results up to 61 grains showing accuracy potential. 61 grains gave me 2860 fps. Today I did 61-62.2 in .3 grain increments. I'm going to play with seating depth at 61.6-61.9 grain area, currently 0.030" off. Will do a larger batch hopefully tomorrow and go back to the magnetospeed to get velocities and confirm at 300.

I know it's not 33, and I may be leaving some velocity out there but it's showing great accuracy potential and I've always used RL22 in my 7mm mags.

SHM

In your photo I notice all most of your groups show minimal vertical spread, but excess horizontal. Do you equate this to the 6-10 mph wind? I only ask because I was just shooting in similar conditions and had one group that was 1/2" horizontally x 1/10" tall. All other groups close to this charge were between 8/10" to 1" groups, but all were typical triangles.

In your photo I notice all most of your groups show minimal vertical spread, but excess horizontal. Do you equate this to the 6-10 mph wind? I only ask because I was just shooting in similar conditions and had one group that was 1/2" horizontally x 1/10" tall. All other groups close to this charge were between 8/10" to 1" groups, but all were typical triangles.

I equate that to the rifle set up. I have not done any stock work to that rifle yet, and after an my latest range time I'm only to 61 shots down the tube. It's still settling in, most of my work right now is to find a consistent load. My front action screw was a touch only about two and a half threads holding it in. I cut a longer screw, and sanded one side of my barrel channel that I thought was close, and smoothed the paint between the action and the stock. It tightened up, but the barrel is just barely broken in.

I also imagine there was some shooter error involved as the wind was cold, snow has still on the ground and I was rotating through four rifles quickly to get some load work tested. I have settled on a load now that is very consistent and forgiving, so now to bed the Grayboe Outlander then fine tune torque settings.

Those shots were in the high 30's and 40's as far as total round count on the barrel were concerned.

SHM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.