Any luck with 175 gr SMKs in 7 Rem Mag?

CB11WYO

So my newest rifle is a 7 Rem Mag on a trued Rem 700, w/ 28" Broughton.

I've tried both the 180 gr. and 168 gr. Berger VLDs with 3/4 MOA - 1 MOA success (using H1000 and Retumbo). I haven't been able to shrinks the groups any smaller ( <1/2 MOA is the goal).

I was wondering what the odds are that the 175 gr. SMKs would give better results??? I don't think I know anybody that uses them, any experience you guys have with them would be great!

Thanks!

180gr Hybrid, 69.5gr Retumbo, Fed215M. I was able to consistently connect with Pdogs at 450yrds sat morning, with winds running from 10-20mph. that's a 0.6MOA target. Might work for ya, and the turn em inside out:D

Try RL-22 if you can find some. For my 7 Mag the 180 Bergers were printing around 3/4 MOA with both H1000 and Retumbo. I tried RL-22 and the groups shrunk to .3" and some better. Muzzle velocity variation was outstanding. I will take the results and temperature regression of RL in this case vs. the Extreme powders. You'll never know until you try.

MMERSS... How major is the temp sensitivity? any data?

Using RL-22 out of a RUM I was seeing about 5 ft/s difference for a 10 degree temperature change.

With that said, I haven't shot my 7mm in hotter temps to verify the velocity change or any internal ballistics change requiring corrections due to the different pressures. I load developed around 40 degrees, roughly the same average temperature during hunting season. The 7mm hasn't been shot above 60 nor below 30 so I haven't taken the time yet to verify and establish temperature regression on this RL-22 load.

If you are considering a more temperature sensitive powder such as RL, try developing your loads in the coolest part of the day such as before sunrise to mimic the cooler temperatures encountered during big game hunting season.

So far, I have had great success with the groups and velocity variations using RL-22 in my 7 Mag. I would bet no matter how much I try, Hodgdon Extreme powders in this case would be tough to equal or exceed my current results. I'm not willing to try to fix what isn't broken just for the sake of temperature regression in this case. If it appears I will be using the rifle in more extreme circumstances, then yes I will conduct regression testing and apply the velocities to each temperature band.

I had good luck with imr 7828 in a 7rem with 162 Amax. The rest I've had good luck with h1000. But that particular rifle only liked 7828

I have never seen H1000 to be the ultimate powder for the 7mag. Retumbo is very hard to beat for hunting but for ultimate accuracy 4350 can not be out done. Berger in their reloading manual will state the same thing that I figured out 20 yrs ago. If it is freebored, which I doubt since it is a Broughton, I would recommend H4831. If you play with Retumbo stay with the 215m or Win mag primer. Have a great time smoking the 300 win mags with the "little" 7mm:)

Try a non magnum primer. I halved by groups when going from Fedral 215's to 210's using both Retumbo (AR2225 here) anf H1000 (AR2217 here).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.