Rl-26 (fairy dust) replacement?

adk hunter

As the title suggest, I am looking for a replacement for RL-26. I came on a pound by chance and have a very nice load for my .280 Ackley. It is a 1-10, 22"lilja and I am shooting the 140 to 150 class bullets. I have some hammers I hope to get made up soon...I also have a good load with 4831sc, have tried regular 4831 but loved the RL-26 for the flow and measurability too. Is there another class of Reloader to try that I can actually purchase?!? Any one in real upstate NY or VT have any RL-26. Never fails I find something that works great and can't find it again...
Thanks in advance guys!!
Joe

I know a guy that loads is 280 AI with h1000, but has a 26 inch tube and shoots the 175 grainers. For you, I would maybe try RL23. Very temp stable from what I have heard. RL22 may be another good option. Since you have a shorter barrel, IMR 4955 is a fairly new powder belonging to their enduron family meaning that it is more temp stable. Hodgdon 7977 is also an alternate to h1000. Hope this helps.

I'm giving rl-25 a go when my 7mm gets back from Remington. I had started load development with it in my old 7mm but nothing too deep. I heard that the plant that makes rl-26 in Australia burnt flat. Not sure if that's true of not but if it is that must have been one heck of a show! Unfortunately I dont think we'll be seeing rl-26 anytime soon.

I'm giving rl-25 a go when my 7mm gets back from Remington. I had started load development with it in my old 7mm but nothing too deep. I heard that the plant that makes rl-26 in Australia burnt flat. Not sure if that's true of not but if it is that must have been one heck of a show! Unfortunately I dont think we'll be seeing rl-26 anytime soon.
I bought 8 lbs off Natchez three days ago. Maybe we will be seeing R26 more often here soon.

I picked up 4 pounds last week at a local hardware store. Hopefully it is making a comeback...

As the title suggest, I am looking for a replacement for RL-26. I came on a pound by chance and have a very nice load for my .280 Ackley. It is a 1-10, 22"lilja and I am shooting the 140 to 150 class bullets. I have some hammers I hope to get made up soon...I also have a good load with 4831sc, have tried regular 4831 but loved the RL-26 for the flow and measurability too. Is there another class of Reloader to try that I can actually purchase?!? Any one in real upstate NY or VT have any RL-26. Never fails I find something that works great and can't find it again...
Thanks in advance guys!!
Joe
I'm glad I stock piled RL26 , I have enough for years haha

I may try hoarding I meant, also what I liked about the 26 is the fine grains. Handskills, Do you know how Ramshot magnum compares in that way? I don't care who makes it I am looking to find a fair and available alternative. Maybe I should just stick with the 4831sc. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.