Rl 17 load help for 7mm 08

hammer111

I got a bad shoulder so I need the lightest load I can use . I have a Tikka t3, and have nosler 140 gr partition bullets with rl17 .Thanks for the help.

try H4895 and 120 gr Nos BT. 35.2 grains at 2.80 coal. That's straight from the nosler book for reduced recoil. My rifle shoots into the same hole at 100 years. My son dropped a nice 8 point yesterday morning with that load. Straight shot in the neck. (his dad is still going crazy over that shot, BTW!) The recoil feels like a 22 semi auto, where you only feel that action cycling.

Thanks ill keep it in mind, but I got a full can of rl 17. I do like the sound of the 22 recoil. I'm tempted Togo buy it.

The closest I can get is Varget @ 41.5 grains with Sierra Matchking 130 gr. bullet# 1903, jump 0.032", gets 2686.8 fps best group was 0.2" I recently broke a rib and resorted to a recoil pad which helped, last resort would be putting a brake on it. I've changed to the Optimal Charge Weight method of load development and dialed in a 300 WSM with 60 rounds it is much fasted and cheaper than the ladder method. If you haven't used it before there is info on the web.

hammer , looks like 44 grains @ 2726 FPS would be a starting load . 48.5 max at 3007 FPS . these are using a 24" bbl .

as the other poster said , H4895 is a good powder for reduced loads . I use it with a 120 ballistic tip for my girlfriend . she has an arm that gives her trouble . the 120 B-tip with 39.0 grains of H4895 ( 2700 fps )has about the same recoil as a 243 with a 100 grain bullet at about max load . I played on quickload figuring this for her . this is accurate in her X-bolt

Hammer,

Have you looked at this: Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

This isn't exact, but should give you an idear of where you should be looking at their 145gr bullet.

Also, if you'd like I can email you what Hornady has for their 139 and RL17. Send me a PM if you'd like.

My experience with RL17 in the 7-08 is it's not the best with lighter bullets, but get above 140s and it starts to shine (esp 150, 160s). I had a load with old 160 hot cores that was very accurate, with good speeds.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.