ring around the tip

relodermike

i have just started to load some bergers, and i am getting a ring at the tip of the bullet from the seater die. is this a common problem , or do i need differnt seater die?
any thoughts, suggestions , or opinions. thanks!!

If I understand correctly you don't have a problem if the ring is "near" the tip of the bullet (ogive). What you don't want is your die(seating stem) pushing on the "absolute" tip or point of the bullet. That sometimes happens with VLD bullets. If that is the case you can send a couple bullets and the die to the die MFG and have it(Seating stem) made to work with the VLDs. I have to get this done with a Redding die of mine. It contacts 150 gr VLDs at the tip and not the ogive of the bullet.

Last edited:
Good question relodermike i just noticed the same thing with my 210 bergers this past weekend it happens roughly 1/8 or 1/4 from the tip of mine i use rcbs dies what are you using ?

Sometimes the ring will show up if you have a bunch of neck tension or are seating into a compressed load situation.

+1 on some seating stems being more prone to causing this problem.

AJ

Re: Ring behind the bullet tip

I've used a fine grade of emery cloth (sand paper) in the past to smooth the seater stem where it contacts the bullet. Spin the seater stem in a drill and run some 400 grit sand paper in contact with the leading edge - or whereever contact with the bullet is leaving the ring. End of problem.

Last edited:
i am using lee dies. The ring is about an 1/8 of an inch from the tip. Will it cause flight trouble?
sounds like we have the same problem going on ,as for the flight trouble ? I'm still working up loads but the last one i shot was a three shot group @ 100 yrds (close range) so far my best group measured .484 when i noticed the ring i took my finger nail and racked it down the bullett you can barely feel an indention on mine .

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.