Rimfire Ammo Test - Part 1 - 28 types of ammo tested.

orkan

I decided to release this data in a thread rather than "review" style format because I wanted to get some good discussion going about it.

Last night I spent from 5pm to 10pm testing 28 different kinds of rimfire ammo. I fired right at 700 rounds during that time frame, and recorded the data from each shot fired.

IMG_6868.JPG

IMG_6869.JPG

IMG_6871.JPG

Target - PR dot drill, 1/2" dots, 35yds.

Rifle - Remington 40X 22LR
This rifle is the most accurate 22lr I've ever owned. Based on my research, it is actually one of the rifles used in the PanAm games by the airforce smallbore team.

Chronograph - PVM-21, 10ft out.

Course of fire - Shoot 15rnds to season the bore to the ammo and rough zero, then fire 10rnds for group measurement. All rounds were fired through the chronograph. I intentionally tried to zero high of aiming point to keep the same aiming reference each time. The bore was cleaned after each 25 shot string, so the bore was in the same condition for each new ammo tested.

The chronograph was outside, and I was shooting off my dining room table with the window open. Obviously this isn't the best shooting platform in the world. There was mirage as a result of heat escaping from my window, as well as the table being a bit wobbly what with using a bipod and rear bag for support. However, pure accuracy wasn't the primary goal of this test. I wanted to see which types of ammo produced the most consistent numbers.

IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

Results - Sorted by Extreme Spread
Results - Sorted by Group Size

This will be a continual thread. The next step is to choose one type of ammo, and then test it extensively through several different rifles being fired by several different shooters from much better firing positions.

The core goal in mind will be to determine what ammo has great accuracy potential in most rifles, and which ammo is useless fodder.

I'll hold back my observations for now. Lets get the conversation started! What do you guys think about what you see?

Good stuff!

The difference between Rem match and Rem subsonic is amazing! 377 es! wow! I like the 24" + on the sss as well LOL!

Yeah, remington subs are terrible.

The 60gr SSS stuff definitely wasn't stabilizing. I almost didn't shoot 25 as I was afraid one of them would hook the chronograph!

Finding the right ammo for a rifle is often time and money consuming.

I shoot benchrest rimfire matches and found that my Remington 40XB shot the smallest group with Lupua Center-X ammo. In the same class, my Suhl benchrest did not like the Lupua Center-X and shot the Federal Match 922A best. Below is a picture of my best group with the Suhl 150.

It is just hard to figure out. Best of luck with your testing
5 shot group.jpg

Wow, awesome stuff here. Now I realize that accuracy can change somewhat from gun to gun but the ES should be relatively universal. With that being said, the Rem match EPS and Rem target rifle bullets look good. The Fiocchi SM34 is probably second best all around tested, behind the Rem match EPS. The Wolf match target and the Win super speed bullets also had good grouping but was middle of the pack in ( ES) extreme spread.
As far as speed goes, the Win power points and CCI mini- mags had excellent speed (from 1320-1345 ) with above average ES and above average groups. The Win power points being a little better in groups and ES but a touch slower.
The Win super x subsonic had the best group ES, but with average group sizes. They may shoot better in a different gun.

Good stuff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.