Rifle Twist 7mm Rem Mag

xFREDRICKx

I have decided on doing a rifle build from a 7mm rem mag that i have. I am getting an HS precision stock and going to get a Krieger M24 5R barrel for it. I am unsure on the twist at what i should get. I know that you have to test some rounds through it to see which one it likes the best but i don't load my own ammo at this point in my life. I will be later on but not for a few years. I am building this rifle for hunting and just want to punch some paper for fun out to 800, possibly 1000 yards if i can. I know that i am in need of a high BC round. Nosler has 7mm 168 grain accubond long range ammo with B.C: 0.652 G1 and 0.353 G7. I have heard great things about this round from hunting elk and for long range. I have read that i need a 1:10" twist and others say a 1:8" twist. Some formulas say i need a 1:9.5" but bergers stability calculator shows i need a 1:8" twist. I would like some help on what the correct twist i should go after if i am not handloading at this time.

LRABs require faster twist. Do a custom search on the top right hand corner for " LRAB Bryan Litz" for his well written post about it.

The twist test for the 168 LRAB was 1:7".

IIWY, I'd seriously look into the Berger VLD offerings from 168 to 195 and twist rate recommendations accordingly.

LRABs require faster twist. Do a custom search on the top right hand corner for " LRAB Bryan Litz" for his well written post about it.

The twist test for the 168 LRAB was 1:7".

IIWY, I'd seriously look into the Berger VLD offerings from 168 to 195 and twist rate recommendations accordingly.

I'm almost certain that Litz made it quite clear that just happened to be the twist during the testing, not the required twist.

Everyone I know shoots the berger 180 hybrids with a 1:9. The 9 twist is marginal for the 195's.

9 twist is all you need for everything up to 180gr

I'm almost certain that Litz made it quite clear that just happened to be the twist during the testing, not the required twist.

Everyone I know shoots the berger 180 hybrids with a 1:9. The 9 twist is marginal for the 195's.

9 twist is all you need for everything up to 180gr

I thought I clearly noted the twist test, and not the twist recommendation. Furthermore, I referred the OP to Bryan's article to read and formulate his own opinion.

Bullet-wise, I recommended Berger's offerings with the corresponding twist rate recommendation.

I thought I clearly noted the twist test, and not the twist recommendation. Furthermore, I referred the OP to Bryan's article to read and formulate his own opinion.

Bullet-wise, I recommended Berger's offerings with the corresponding twist rate recommendation.

But making it a point to identify the arbitrary information can be misleading.

Generally speaking, you should use a twist that is sufficient for the heaviest bullet you intend to shoot as the twist for the heaviest bullet (which is faster than for lighter bullets) will stabilize the lighter bullets. The 7rem mag will shoot 180grain bullets and they require 1:9. If you ever want to try the 195grain bullets, you will need 1:8.5

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/ has 1:9 twist.

Feenix - ohiohunter is right. Your response was confusing. At first glance, it appears your recommendation is 1:7

I would get a 1-9 twist and I would shoot ammo loaded with berger bullets, 140 168 and 180. they are made for what you said you were going to do.

But that is clearly not the case. Perhaps I could simplify it for ease of comprehension ... will try do better next time.

How can you say 'clearly not the case' when two people saw it another way? Clearly, what you thought was 'clear' was not.

Just bustin' your chops at this point. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.