Rifle scopeS on SP's , Oh MY!

hshunter

Had a chance today to shoot the WSM's with the NXS's mounted on them. Wish I had changed over to rifle scopes months ago. what a difference. at max power I have about 1/2 field of view and at the lower powers a full field of view. Can't wait to get some more pracitce time in , this should be the trick for long range shooting and hunting.
nmhunter

i was wondering how those nightforce scopes pick up light wehn it is right before opening and right at closing could you take a peek through them at those times? or did you?

Had a chance today to shoot the WSM's with the NXS's mounted on them. Wish I had changed over to rifle scopes months ago. what a difference. at max power I have about 1/2 field of view and at the lower powers a full field of view. Can't wait to get some more pracitce time in , this should be the trick for long range shooting and hunting.
nmhunter

Sometimes it is fun to say, "I told you so:D"

To get these fields of view, what shooting position are you using? Can 1/2 field of view be expected from the higher powers when shooting from the bench? I have to check the eye relief for NXS versus the Leupy Mark 4 which was what I was planning for my WSM.

For me, both prone and bench, using Leupold.
The NF will have a tad more eye relief than the Leupy, from what i have read, but I haven't had the opportunity to side by side test yet though.

The Nightforce 3.5-15 is listed at 3.9 inches and the Leupy 4.5-14 is listed at 3.6 at 14 power and 4.5 at 4.5 power. Is it possible that the relief on the Nightforce does not change with magnification? I need to just get my act together (and get some better weather) and swap a scope from one of my rifles to my 300WSM and give it a try!

WD,
Interesting. One would need to go to the spec sheets and then do a comparison on similar scopes. If you have the time and desire, check the upper X variables as well. I thought the NF was better in a small amount in terms of eye relief, but they may be the same.

WD, i am holding off about 6 " at max power. with the HS brake the recoil off of the bench(using a harris bipod) is coming up more than straight back, so the scope is actually moving in a downwards motion. Iam holding a much firmer grip than with the burris, actuallu trying to keeping arm much stifferand taking recoil at the wrist. holding with tight right hand and the left is controlling the rear bag and adding some support for the right hand. My groups with the 300 were in the 1/2" range and had 3 shots inside of a 1/4" square with the 7WSM. I will try to post a couple of the groups .
nmhunter

XP and WD, the first Pic is the 300 WSM @100yds

DSCN0556.jpg

the second pic is the 7WSM @100yds

DSCN0555.jpg

nmhunter

Tom, where do you get that giant dime? Nice shooting, cant wait to see how they will work on the antelopes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.