Rifle Match

ramp

I went to my first match this weekend just to watch. Should have stayed at home now I really got the bug. I would like to try it. I need some equipment but don't want to break the bank.
I don't need the best but I don't want junk either. the things I need are shooting coat,sling &
spotting scope stand . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ramp

Both it was only small bore but looked like a lot of fun. They shot at 50 & 100 yd's.
I have four 22 rifles and don't have half as much invested as they do in one.
I still want to try with my chepo's.

Ramp

Check out Creedmore Sports for the coat, etc.

The other thing to look at is ammo, different ammo can make a giant different in group size. I'd recommend trying RWS, Remington Eley, CCI Green Tag and CCI Standard.

My .22 LR personally likes the CCI Green Tags, I can pull 1.1 - 1.3" groups @ 100, and .3" @ 50 yds. for 5 shot groups. I tested an awful lot of ammo before I reached my decision lol.

Bowhunthard

Thank's for the reply. My 22 likes the wolf match. It will shoot the X out at 50 yds with one ragged hole(from bench). I've never shot prone before (without any rest) shur hurts your feelings going from the bench to prone. I've ordered the coat , glove & sling from Creedmoor. Still debateing about the spotting scope stand. Thought about getting a mini tripod just to try.
The scope stands shur are high $$.

Ramp

What rifle do you have? The barrel and stock play a critical part in the balance of a non-bench rifle. I have a 10/22 with a top-ported heavy bbl, and an anchutz style thumbhole stock. It really stinks to get comfortable off the bench, but I can shoot 3 - 4" 10-shot groups offhand @ 100 yds (no coat etc, lol). I still have the factory trigger in it tho and it stinks alot, all my offhand groups are pull high right because of the 7 lb. trigger pull (consistent anyway). I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.