Rifle I probably won’t use anymore

338weatherby

I have a M700 stainless SPS in 300wsm that I put a Bell & Carlson stock on a few years back. It's got a Zeiss Conquest on it and has been a decent rifle. I brought it out with me a few times to hunt Muley's and it shoots ok. I never loaded up anything other then 165's and 180 Barnes and noslers for it. I guess I never really gave it much attention 😢. Anyway, I'm thinking of either rebarreling and doing something different or selling. Thinking if I had something to fill a gap in my current line up would be nice. Here are my current rifle chamberings. Would love to hear opinions and thoughts.
9.3x62
338-06
2- 7x57AI's
2- 6.5 CM's
7 saum
45-70
450 bushmaster
Planning a 338 build (338LM, 338SM, 338NM or similar)
and the 300wsm in question.
Any ideas for a possible build to toss in the mix using the M700 short action?

I have a M700 stainless SPS in 300wsm that I put a Bell & Carlson stock on a few years back. It's got a Zeiss Conquest on it and has been a decent rifle. I brought it out with me a few times to hunt Muley's and it shoots ok. I never loaded up anything other then 165's and 180 Barnes and noslers for it. I guess I never really gave it much attention 😢. Anyway, I'm thinking of either rebarreling and doing something different or selling. Thinking if I had something to fill a gap in my current line up would be nice. Here are my current rifle chamberings. Would love to hear opinions and thoughts.
9.3x62
338-06
2- 7x57AI's
2- 6.5 CM's
7 saum
45-70
450 bushmaster
Planning a 338 build (338LM, 338SM, 338NM or similar)
and the 300wsm in question.
Any ideas for a possible build to toss in the mix using the M700 short action?
For the Short action, I just finished a 6.5 X 55 Ackley and I have got it starting to group. I have a couple of barrel blanks that I have yet to use a 30 and 338 might consider a 30 RAR, or a 338 X 284.

You've got more bases covered than most. If the accuracy isn't to your liking I would either sell it, or part out the barrel and stock and rebarrel in 300wsm with a heavier contour for shooting targets (if you have access to ranges beyond 1,000)

338 Federal.

I put my 6.5x55 40° Imp in a Savage Long action. Love it.
Yeah, a long action would have been better for the 6.5 X 55 , but I used it this spring for a 338 Win Mag build. I have got to find a couple more actions for my barrel blanks. I like the 338 Federal, and I am currently throwing 200 grain pills out of a DPMS don't know what I will use it for but it is fun to shoot.

Yeah, a long action would have been better for the 6.5 X 55 , but I used it this spring for a 338 Win Mag build. I have got to find a couple more actions for my barrel blanks. I like the 338 Federal, and I am currently throwing 200 grain pills out of a DPMS don't know what I will use it for but it is fun to shoot.
In the DPMS, I'd try monos in the 185gr range. If I build another AR10, it'd probably be 338 Fed.
The Swede is so close to fitting in a short action. I have the AICS 300WM box mag feeding mine. Love no restriction on OAL / seating depth.
Which dies do you use for your 6.5x55 AI? I have the Redding and CH4, find the latter are better.

In the DPMS, I'd try monos in the 185gr range. If I build another AR10, it'd probably be 338 Fed.
The Swede is so close to fitting in a short action. I have the AICS 300WM box mag feeding mine. Love no restriction on OAL / seating depth.
Which dies do you use for your 6.5x55 AI? I have the Redding and CH4, find the latter are better.
I have not loaded any Improved Brass as of yet, I have some 130 Black Diamonds I am breaking in the barrel with and my plan is to send in some fired brass and have a custom die build for the Improved. I did that with a 30-30 Improved and was very happy with the results. I have Redding Dies for my match rifle and I am very pleased with how they load for my match rifle. Wilson builds custom dies and I will thinking about giving them a try, they are located in Georgia and that will give an reason to drive three hours and check out their shop.
When you get time post a few photo's of your lasted builds.
Ace

Got me thinking about a short 338. Does the 338 SS mag work in a short action or does it need a long to seat the bullets out further to get the performance? The 338-300wsm doesn't seem to have a whole lot more then the 338-06. I get 2750 with 225 ABs from the '06.

I would just build a 300 wsm that is what would be lacking in your line up a great all around big game chambering not trying to be a smart as-
I hear ya. The 300 pretty much fits right in there. I know it's a great all around chambering however I'm not looking for an all around cartridge. Just thinking of something different off of the short action.

You've got more bases covered than most. If the accuracy isn't to your liking I would either sell it, or part out the barrel and stock and rebarrel in 300wsm with a heavier contour for shooting targets (if you have access to ranges beyond 1,000)
I wish I had access to 1000 yard range. There is one about 3 hours away. Most are only 300 up here.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.