Rifle for the Wife

Greg your on the rite track thks for explaining all the above..... makes perfect sense , yes Check them CZ pistols out, good Luck!!!

CZ makes decent 28 gauge shotguns as well...even the heaviest factory load won't have enough recoil to scare her...but once she starts shooting she won't want to stop...

Greg, it sounds like your Wife grew up alot like mine, in my Wife's case on a cattle farm in the AR Ozarks & like in your case I introduced her to hunting. I bought my Wife a sporterized 96 Mauser about 30 years ago. She has taken about 40 Deer, 2 Antelope, 1 Elk and various critters with that Rifle. 2 years ago I bought her a RAR Predator, with it she shoots targets in the off season with a 4x16 Vortex Viper mounted using 140 A-Maxes and hunting season we put a 3x9 Burris on and either the 120TTSX or 140 Nos. Partition. Last fall she took an AR Bull Elk with the Creed, the 140 gr. bullets run 2825 in the Creed with RL26 and 2700 in the Swede with H4831. In both cases shooting Elk the Partition plowed through both shoulders.
I would advise the Creed as a low recoiling but yet very effective round. It would be hard to do better and several lightweight rifles can be had in that round and VERY good factory ammo at a good price can be purchased if you have a time crunch and can't load your own. I see no downside to these rounds in the context of what you want to accomplish.

Buy yourself a 338 Uber Magnum...oh wait I meant your wife. Then tell her you need to make sure it's shooting well before you let her take it out.

Seriously if deer are only on the menu. Maybe even a 243.

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned that ..............ive been looking for a Pistol from CZ
Greg,
Based on 5 years of working at a gun shop and watching guys come in , pick out a gun for their wives or girlfriends then coming back and trading it in for a loss because she dosen't like it and wont shoot it VS the guys that came in and let the wife/girlfriend pick out what she likes with a little help with caliber/cartridge from the guy. And those guns being USED and liked by said girlfriend or wife. I suggest you let her pick out the rifle and you help with caliber/ cartridge SUGGESTIONS. Let her take ownership of the process and she is more likely to be happy and confident with HER choice. Worked for me also :) . Just a suggestion.

Greg,
Based on 5 years of working at a gun shop and watching guys come in , pick out a gun for their wives or girlfriends then coming back and trading it in for a loss because she dosen't like it and wont shoot it VS the guys that came in and let the wife/girlfriend pick out what she likes with a little help with caliber/cartridge from the guy. And those guns being USED and liked by said girlfriend or wife. I suggest you let her pick out the rifle and you help with caliber/ cartridge SUGGESTIONS. Let her take ownership of the process and she is more likely to be happy and confident with HER choice. Worked for me also :) . Just a suggestion.

Yes, you are so right. If she gets to pick it out she will want to shoot it. Like her Sig 380. She picked it out all by her self and loves that Gun.

CZ makes decent 28 gauge shotguns as well...even the heaviest factory load won't have enough recoil to scare her...but once she starts shooting she won't want to stop...

Thats another thing she has said "When do I get my own Shotgun? You have three of your own." Your right a nice 28 would be perfect.

Last edited:
Was at the local Gun store today and saw two used Kimber's One a 84M Montana @ $1100 and one a 84M Hunter @ $700 Both in .243

I dont know much about Kimber's at all maybe some of you guys who do can fill me in on what kind of Rifle they are.
I hunted for years with a .243 and shot a lot of Black-Tail's when I lived in Northern California plus two Antelope and never felt undergunned. I just want something that she will love to shoot.

You are going to have to get a second job! lol !!

Well that's true but one thing I have learned being married to Jackie is that when she has her own Gun she wants to go shooting all the time. She picked out a Sage Fly Rod and now we are on the river a lot more and now its not my idea she's the one telling me, "Lets go Fly Fishing"

I talked to McMillan and they are tooling up to start making Stocks for the CZ 527! They make the Edge for one now plus I would love to have a Three Color Gel swirl for my 17 Remington............Custom Camo Color plus my wife could pick out her own colors............

jmho,kimbers Rifles are 50/50 ,either you lov them or hate them, don't own one and not planning on it, what keeps me away is all the bad stories ive read about them,a Great friend asked me my opinion on Kimber rifles,told him the same thing. he's 81 and wanted a semi-custom 270 wcf, ...''. Riddle me this.....after making them sooooo many years ,don't you think they'd have all the bugs worked out of them ,for the high cost that they charge.?'' now another friend owns newer style Kimber 1911's and they are shootin sob's go figure ....... getting back to the 243 its great but under powered compared to the many other short action calibers, ps I own 2/ 243s just saying, but Cry once Buy once,like another poster above said we all LOOSE on a trade in, better to spend Mor now and get some thing she'll lov & keep for ever AMEN!!! another example for 700 you could fine her a Very nice used Sako,shoot the heck out of it and re barrel it restock it , what ever she wanted ,problem is most rifles are made for us men,a good gunsmith could help a lot,just a thought,.............. check out them Rifles MADE for Women, see if she likes them yes the Camila gonna be mor ging, but try her out on the Lady hunter by savage.... also we're here for you Both!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.