Rifle build question, what to do with my 7mm-08?

Jzeblaz

Hello gentlemen,

I have a dilemma and I'm hoping your expertise can help steer me in the right direction. I have a wonderful, albeit heavy, custom 280 Remington that is my go to rifle for elk and deer, but here in CA we get to hunt pigs year round and I do a fair bit of hiking, so I often take my trusty, and light M700 7mm-08. When I bought the rifle 2nd hand, it grouped wonderfully. I decided to upgrade the trigger to a Jewel, had the bolt fluted and Cerakoted, installed a nifty firing pin/spring and finally put it in an HS Precision stock.

In a move, the original, the orginal bedded Tupperware stock disappeared. Sadly, the groups opened up. I have bought a Holland recoil lug for the rifle, but haven't had it installed. Prior to picking up this nice little rifle, I acquired and planned to build 7mm-08AI on a Pierce Ti action, with a McMillan Edge, Jewel trigger and a Bartlein barrel. Since I got the fantastic little M700, I've been at an impasse on what to do.

Do I save the Ti Pierce action for a ultralight build and install the Bartlein barrel on my M700 and use the McMillan stock? I'm left with the HS Precision stock with no rifle to slap it on or the HS Precision stock for the Pierce?

Do I build the 7mm-08AI on the Pierce action and maybe look at a Proof barrel for my ultralight mountain rifle?

Do I bed the M700 in the HS Precision stock and wait for the right SA project to come around for the Pierce. I'm feeling an ultra light 7SAUM would be a fun rifle with a Proof barrel or the Bartlein.

The heavier barrel profile on the Bartlein matches the Edge stock well and the sporter profile on the M700 fits the HS Precision.

Thoughts? Suggestions? What would you do if y'all were in my shoes?

-Jze

I'd get the M700 straightened out (perhaps rechamber or rebarrel to AI) and make the Pierce a .308 - can do anything the 7-08 can do plus a lot more - 200-230gr bullets, you can find ammo for it anywhere in the world for instance and you then have a 30cal.