Rifle Barrels?

kc

In your opinion who builds the best Barels?
In my opinion for the 03A3s I have built, Douglas.
the one thats on my old Remington 7 MAG that needs to be replaced.
I go Broughton.

When it comes to custom rifle barrels I'm not sure there is a 'best'. But, there are blanks, made by some, that I'm not interested in using. There are some available, that you don't hear much about, that are quite good. The "best" can be turned to junk without the proper skills, knowledge, and tools.

No such thing as "best" when it comes to barrels. All will have a dud now and again. Some have fewer duds than others. Personally, I have owned rifles that have had and shot well with (In alpha order):

Bartlein
Broughton,
Hart,
Kreiger
Obermeyer

I have pretty much decided that as well as the Hart and Broughton shot (and they shot pretty darn well), I'll be sticking with cut rifled barrels from now on.

If Bartlein does not reduce their 9 month lead time on direct-order barrels, they will drop off my list alltogether.

JeffVN

I am with you shortgrass 100% there are Barrel makers that trash more than they will sell, and some we have never heard of.
jeffVN Has a point there are some duds out there and some that shoot great.

I hope we get lots of input from all of the shooters out here..so sound off please.

KC.

For consistant quality barrel to barrel I prefer Lilja.

There are fore or five other barrels that I will use if the person wants something else
but I can allways count on the Lilja's to meet or exceed my expectations.

So I would say that there is no 'one best' just what you the smith has the best luck
and confidence with.

J E CUSTOM

lilja is the only custom barrels i have ever owned. the quality is so superb and the accuracy so outstanding i cannot imagine any other barrel outperforming his. since i live so close to the factory, i have been there and shown the specifics of handlapping, stress relieving, etc. no break-in, copper and powder fouling seems to be repelled and accuracy is way beyond what i can shoot.

I have had:
Broughton
Brux
Hart
Douglas
Shilen
Pac-nor
Most all have shot good but all my future rifles will be sporting Brux barrels. Great quality and fantastic people to work with.

A friend and I use to buy 20-25 barrels a year for 3-4 consecutive years from Hart until the percentage of bad or mediocre barrels started increasing. Then we switched to Lilja and we've probably used 15-20 Lilja's between us. I personally have had 2 bad barrels from Lilja (I consider bad a barrel one that wont shoot sub MOA consistently) and all of them have been #7 or larger barrels. I have also used 5-6 Schneider barrels and everyone has been a sub 1/2" barrel. I have one in .338 Baer that will shoot .250" groups consistently if I do my part. We both have used several cut rifled barrels recently from Brux, Kreiger, and Bartlein and haven't had a bad one yet. We've also used Pac-Nor, Shilen, Blackstar, Lothar, and Broughton but probably less than 3 of each. The Accumax 1 barrel I have from Blackstar is crazy accurate too. It's also a .338 Baer and will shoot .250" groups. Both of my .338 Baer's have shot groups in the .1's. I also have a Lilja #7 contour in .416 Rem. that will shoot sub 1/2" groups with 350gr Speer Hot Cores and 400gr X bullets and has shot a few groups closer to .250". I also had a couple Hart .30 caliber barrels that shot numerous groups in the .0's.

I think most all of the custom barrel companies can make good barrels but it's the percentage of bad or mediocre to good/excellent that makes a difference and I think they all have higher percentages of sub par barrels at times. Wether it is the operator, the machine, the material, lube, lapping, or something else not every barrel is going to be a .250" barrel. The gunsmithing of the barrel and action can play just as big of a part, if not a bigger part generally, then the quality of the barrel when you use a top quality barrel.

lilja quality is so superb and the accuracy so outstanding i cannot imagine any other barrel outperforming his. QUOTE]

I have heard this from numerous shooters ;on these forums. But, as a competition shooter, I watch the winning equipment lists frequently and Lilja is never used by the better comeptitors. Why?

Personally, I prefer cut rifled barrels, i.e., Bartlien, Krieger, Brux, Rock Creek, etc. But I have had good luck with Shilen and Hart also.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts