Rifle balance and weight distribution.

Steelflight

Ok so this one is for those that over think this. Upon laying out your rifle pre season what ever it is. What do you consider balanced.

For me I'm a ten to twelve pound rifle guy. Yes I lug that beast around this includes scope and right now a possible bipod. For me I like it forward of center. Not entirely balanced on center. Purpose for quicker reaquired target. (It works) as for packing this thing it does go over hills and vales . The rockies are indeed non caring of my plight. However I'm sweaty and often worn down regardless so taking a rifle that's going to rest with some authority is a boon to me. What do you fellow hunters like?

Depends on shooting positions. Standing I like more weight at the receiver (AR's) as to use sling and place hand on magwell. All of my AR's regardless of weight (3# 14oz- 15.5#) and barrel length are focused this way. Weight isn't an issue when you have it balanced for you.

Quite simply……. the lightest total weight that will "temper" felt recoil to a comfortable level, extremely good fit (literally points like a good handgun) on game, reasonably accurate (not bench rest quality as I'm hunting not shooting competition) out to my maximum self-imposed range limit, chambered in a cartridge that (with proper bullets and placement) can cleanly and legally take any animal on Planet Earth!

Mission completed 34 years ago this month! memtb

I will not carry a gun in the field that weighs more than 8 1/2 lbs loaded and ready to shoot and that includes a custom Brown Precision 338 WM. In fact most of my rifles are 8 lbs or less and the recent addition - a Kimber 280 AI is around 7. I like the weight centered at or around the front of the magazine or start of the chamber.

All depends on how I'm carrying it, and what the habitat is I'm carrying it through.

Alders have gotten so thick where I hunt and I'm getting older even the little Kimber with the fixed power starts feeling heavy.

A lot of that is my hunting has been less and less long range as it gets harder to find places to shoot at distance to practice. My current number one main squeeze point and click rifle is about 8 lb loaded all up ready to hunt.