richards micro fit gun stocks?

I'm a bit confused... If you're a "master/custom stockmaker, and have been in the business for 41 years, why would you be using an outfit like that?
I'm not flaming, just trying to figure that out.

I'm a bit confused... If you're a "master/custom stockmaker, and have been in the business for 41 years, why would you be using an outfit like that?
I'm not flaming, just trying to figure that out.
Good afternoon Joel, Much of my work is hand done from start to finish. Since I am having to have a part built for my duplicator and it will take several more weeks to get it I decided to use Richards to turn some wood. Some of their designs are close to ones that I developed years ago so it's easy to work them down but I will never use them again nor will I recommend them to anyone. Hope you have a great week

Good afternoon Joel, Much of my work is hand done from start to finish. Since I am having to have a part built for my duplicator and it will take several more weeks to get it I decided to use Richards to turn some wood. Some of their designs are close to ones that I developed years ago so it's easy to work them down but I will never use them again nor will I recommend them to anyone. Hope you have a great week

I understand. Feel free to get in touch with me or shortgrass if you need anything
turned in the future. We're not cheap, but we understand what it takes to turn a chunk of wood into a fine gunstock. Always willing to lend a hand to a fellow stockmaker.

Attachments

• Mauser 004.JPG
    Mauser 004.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Mauser 002.JPG
    Mauser 002.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 131
We have to make a clear distinction between a stock from Boyd's, and a true custom stock. If all you're after is a serviceable run of the mill stock, at a reasonable price, then Boyd's may work for you. It may be a good value if you know what your getting, and have the ability to do some minor work.
The true custom rifle stock is for those that are willing to spend more money to get a one of a kind personalized piece that will be an investment in the long run.

Richards has some nice pics on their web site. Just for starters, there are over 100 hours in the inletting and shaping into that maple stock I posted a pic of. There are probably 20-30 hrs into hand rubbing oil finish. Even if Richards pre-inlets would be a 99% press fit and straight a lot of time would be required to completely finish one to the quality of the pics on their web site. Not to mention they can't seem to get the orders right. I've had customers tell me Boyds can be hard to deal with, too. Place an order and change your mind a bit, like a different recoil pad, no sling swivels or unfinished and the only way to 'stop' your initial order is to have your credit card company to stop payment. They'll allow NO changes once an order is placed. You will get a 'handle' like 10,000 others that will probably have enough room in the action inletting for glass bedding.

Something to think about when comparing a mass produced stock to a true custom:

It takes at least 40 hours to make a stock, that's an entire week of effort, but spread over weeks of drying, wait stop, I'm frustrated, with shaping, inletting, checkering, finishing, grip cap, recoil pad, cross bolts, bedding, etc, etc,....

To pay a guy for a week, you have to at least pay him the average income, not just for his time, but for his tools, his efforts, and his knowledge, but to keep him engaged enough to do this the next time.

Median income is about $49,500 or so, about $25 an hour, ....$40 @ $25 is $1,000 plus wood.

This should be the absolute minimum rate for a bespoke stock.

Anything less, well, it's just not sustainable.

And like mechanics and architects, the better they are, the more expensive it gets.

I hear these comments all the time..." You only charged him xx amount of money for that?"....

A late friend of mine built a few rifle stocks. He primarily did engraving but he built a few rifles too. He told me it took him about 100 hours to build a stock. His hourly rate was $40 per hour. His stocks were nicely checkered and oil finished. If you were paying that much for a stock, you wouldn't want to use a low quality piece of wood. It was easy to spend $5000 for a stock from him. That was if you were capable of even talking him into making you one.

A minimum 100hrs if from a blank,,,,,, about 40hrs from a good pre-inlet. I see many looking for chambering advice on the forums, very, very few looking for stock making advice. Just the "quality piece of wood" costs what most think the finished stock should cost, or more.....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.