Finishing a Richards Micro.

stonesmokey

I have worked my tail off on a this thumbhole stock and it's ready for sealing and finishing.

My question is, being in north central texas the humidity is usually high, how does one know when it is the opportune time to stabilize the stock (ie is the stock dry enough to seal), or does it really matter as long as their is a positive barrier to eliminate moisture exchange with the atmosphere?

I will be using Formby's Tung Oil cut with mineral spirints at 4:1. I have searched LRH and other sites for info so my appologies if have missed a previous thread.

Thanks for any advice.

Next Step

I have moved forward with the project. I was told that as long as the stock has been kept in an air conditioned climate it was good to go. I will try to pose some pics as I progress with it. I used a wood hardener to seal the stock as a base coat and will follow up with tung oil. I am going to pillar bed the stock to the action hopefully this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.