retpd

retpd

iam having a problem with my 308 norma. it is a fng action hart barrel timminy triger bell carlson stock. i cant get an group at 100 under 4inch. i had the crown recut replaced the rings and base to tally one peace. i also found out the jump is aprox. 3/4 inch seems like to much? i also replaced the scope hight end tack. i cant lode to the lansgroves the round will not fit into the magwell. is the jump to long and if so can the barrel be screwed in to take up the jump. i could really use some thoughts. thank.

How did you determine the jump is 3/4"?

Is this with some particular factory ammo? Or, with your own handloads?

-- richard

richard i started with factory 3.345/3.35 when i reloaded with norma powder and 180 vld at 3.35 what ever i loaded it was the same thing 3.5 to 4 at 100. then i took afired case put bluing on thr vld and slid it in up to the lands with bolt locked the round was 3.52? the dif was aprox. 1/4 i may have posted 3/4 it is 1/4 jump that still seems to much if i load 3.5 ill have a single shot i hope this helps mike

So if you load 180gr VLDs to max length in your magazine, you're still ~.250" short of touching the lands? And, the rifle is grouping 3.5-4" at 100yds?

If so, then I think there's nothing to say that it can't group well with that much jump provided the rifle setup is good and you do a proper load workup.

Here are a few things to consider...

- check the twist rate for your barrel, 1 in 12" would be on the slow end for 180 VLDs and may not stabilize them
- has the rifle ever grouped well with any bullets/ammo
- try a lighter flat based bullet
- good scope, well mounted, without stress
- action screws are properly torqued
- barrel is free-floated and nothing touching the barrel when you take a rest on bags or bipod
- crown is clean and burr free
- barrel is clean and not copper fouled
- if the barrel has a high round count, consider having it borescoped to check the throat

If everything appears to be in order...

Try a load workup as a single shot without placing rounds in the magazine. If you're now able to load to within .010-.140" from the lands and achieve suitable accuracy, then you can consider either using it as a single shot or a magazine modification.

Wyatts makes extended magzine kits for various rifle. I'm not familiar with fng. Do you mean FNH? ...as in Mod 70 Winchester style? Or, is it the old Mauser 98 action?

-- richard

the action is a fng belgium iam going to load the rounds 10 then 20 off the lands and see what it does. every thing on your list has been done or checked. the next is chamber cast and bore scope. ill post what happends thank again mike

Re: retpd 308 norma

i just got back from shooting the longer loads the yest loads were 69 norma mrp 168 hornady interbond. seated to 3.470 i was out of vld. at 100 yards 0 wind 81 out side. leadsled platform. (shot 1 3down 2right), (2 shot 3right) (3 shot 2down 2left) 4shot next to first shot, (5shot 1down 2left) (6shot 3down 2right) mesurments from center. after the shots i looked at how the round fit into the bolt face to me it was slopy. so to the gunsmith i go chamber cast and see if the bolt face is an issue, i know it is hard to advise with out having the rifle but any help wood be grate. thank mike.

You've certainly got my curiosity. I'm unfamiliar with fng and can't find anything on the internet.

I'd be keen to see some photos.

thanks
richard

richard the action i believe it a mouser trp the stamp is ovel with fng wirh a fancy line through it next to it made in belgium it has 2 locking lugs infront and 1 in the back infront of the bolt handel, ill post photos soon thanks mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.