Reticle for Vortex 6-24 PST help

encoreguy

I am trying to decide on either the EBR-2C MOA or 2C MRAD reticle for a Vortex PST 6-24 in FFP that I am going to order. I already have a 4-16 PST with a EBR 1MOA reticle. I like it but it seems many are going to the mil reticle and mil clicks? The rest of my scopes are various brands with mil-dots but .25" or 1/8" clicks. I hope to start switching them out to whatever system I decide on for consistency. I like the Vortex line and am planning on using this for long range shooting with my 300 Win. Mag. Any suggestions on which reticle and why? Thanks!

It's mostly personal preference, or which system you're familiar with. 1/4 MOA clicks are a little finer adjustment than .1 MRAD which may be better for really long shots (.1 MRAD is about 4 inches @ 1000 yds compared to 2.6 for 1/4 MOA). Mil dot reticles are useful for ranging targets of known size (metric system makes for quick calculations), but if you're using a rangefinder that point is moot.

You already have 1 PST in moa, stay the same. Just as easy to range targets as mil which you will never do anyway with a rangefinder. Moa is just easier for me in every way and a little more precise at long range as stated already. Good choice of optics my pst 6x24 moa has been excellent although I prefer 2nd focal. Good luck on your decision.

I have a 4-16 PST that is in MIL and I wish it was in MOA. I bought it new and has maybe 50 rounds fired. Would you want to trade? That way both your scopes would be the same.

Comparing the MIL reticles to MOA reticles in the Vortex Viper PST, it looks like the smallest increment is 0.2MIL and 0.5MOA, but you have to go out pretty far from center to get those. At and near center, where you will do wind holds and holdovers for quick react follow-up shots the smallest intervals are 0.5 MIL and 1MOA. Personally I prefer MOA mostly because I learned it first and am very comfortable with it, but in choosing between these two reticles I also prefer it because it gives the smallest interval to measure windage if you are going to holdoff. If you always dial your wind, then I'd say its a wash, pick whichever system with which you are most comfortable with the math involved.

You already have 1 PST in moa, stay the same. Just as easy to range targets as mil which you will never do anyway with a rangefinder. Moa is just easier for me in every way and a little more precise at long range as stated already. Good choice of optics my pst 6x24 moa has been excellent although I prefer 2nd focal. Good luck on your decision.

Shane beat me to the point. I find it easier (for me) to stay with one system be it Mil or MOA. I really don't think you can go wrong with either but to implement the K.I.S.S. system, all variable need to be consistent :cool:

t

So I can see that the "clicks" would be a little more precise in MOA vs. Mil .265" vs. .36". As far as using the reticle for aiming, which I will probably do more than dialing, the Mil would be 1.8" per tick mark vs. 2.1" per tick on the MOA right? So with the Mil it would be 9" at 500 yards and 10.5" at 500 with the MOA right? So the reticle might be a little more precise (less gap between) with the Mil. Am I thinking right?

If I follow what you are saying, yes I believe you are thinking right.

1 Mil is 3.6" @ 100yds. - So 3.6x5= 18" @ 500 yds
1 Moa is 1.047" @ 100 yds - So 1.047x5= 5.235" @ 500 yds.

The MRAD (mil) reticle has 0.5 mrad subtensions from 0 to 5 in the vertical plane and 0.5 mrad from 0-2 in the horizontal plane.

The moa reticle has 2 moa subtensions from 0-20 vertical and 0-10 horizontal.

0.5 mrad @ 500 yds = 3.6/2 x 5 = 9"
2 moa @ 500 yds = 1.047 x 2 x 5 = 10.47"

So the mrad subtensions subtend about 1.5" less at 500 yds. Hope this make sense.

Last edited:
Mayhap I was looking at different reticles. The two I compared had 1moa intervals on the windage line, and half-mil intervals. Half a mil is larger than 1 moa. I run the Viper HSLR FFP which is 1moa horizontally, 2 moa vertically. I dial distance, and hold for wind. Sorry for the confusion.

I should have added that I was referring to the EBR-1 MOA and EBR-1 MRAD reticles on their 4-16 PST scopes. But, I see that their EBR-2C reticles, that is offered on their 6-24 PST, have the same subtensions of 0.5 mil and 2 moa.

Now that I've taken a more careful look at the Vortex website, I am surprised that the PSTs don't go smaller than 2moa. If you can live without the illuminated reticle, take a look at the Viper HSLRs, with the 1moa interval reticles in FFP. I've been very satisfied with both of mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.