Rest options for shooting off a bench?

fnlights

What does everyone use for shooting off a bench? I am wanting to take out as much of the human element as I can while testing loads. I am currently using front and rear sand bags, but am considering getting the Caldwell Rock JR and then just using rear sand bags.

Does anyone have any preferences or experience with the Rock JR? Is it worth the cheap price?

Amazon product ASIN B0007Y8SBW

I have a Rock Jr and it suits my needs great. I sue it with a standard rear bag. I think it suffices for probably 95% of shooters. If you are worried, that a group was theoretical .5 MOA vs .625 MOA a heavier more tuneable rest may be appropriate. But I don't see a more expensive or higher fature rest, turning a .66 MOA load into a sub .5 MOA load.

Price does not necessarily equate to functionality and useability.

The shooting community often becomes enamored with over-engineering and high price as a status symbol.

Last edited:
I have a Rock Jr and it suits my needs great. I sue it with a standard rear bag. I think it suffices for probably 95% of shooters. If you are worried, that a group was theoretical .5 MOA vs .625 MOA a heavier more tuneable rest may be appropriate. But I don't see a more expensive or higher fature rest, turning a .66 MOA load into a sub .5 MOA load.

Price does not necessarily equate to functionality and useability.
Yep that is my thinking. I see some people online buying $500+ front rests, which if you are a bench rest shooter, I understand, but for a hunting load I think that is kinda crazy.

I know that Caldwell makes the standard rock and the deluxe, which are quite a bit more expensive than the Jr, but I do not see a major improvement over the Rock Jr. I just like having a front rest because I can place the stock in the exact same spot every time whereas it might be slightly off with using front bags, but I am not sure if that really amounts to much.

Anything that will not interrupt recoil and can maintain a steady sight picture. I typically use a front rest as described and rabbit ear rest for the rear. However, after load develop I shoot as I would normally shoot in most hunting situations and for me that is prone with a bipod.
Yep that is likely what I am going to be doing. I do not have a rabbit ear rest, but feel that my current sand bags would suffice. I mean for $35, I think that Caldwell rest is a great deal and will do anything that I need to do

Depending on the stock the Jr may be a little small widthwise. I have a JR and recently began using a Tackdriver X because I need some additional height. I have the rear rabbit ear rest that seldom gets used. I use the TD X when shooting my 22s but normally shoot of bipods for the 223s and 308.

I ran a Bald Eagle rest twenty years ago. Holy cow they went up in price. I'd probably use a heavier RCBS or even bags filled with sand. And a good rabbit eared rear bag for the bench.

I am wanting to take out as much of the human element as I can while testing loads.

Then frugality will certainly not help in your search for the best loads and eliminating the 'human element'. There are limits as to how much error you can remove with less expensive solutions. But, you may not actually require the best solutions since you might be satisfied with lesser achievements.

When we attempt to shoot zeros on paper, we usually find that only the best will succeed. When folks are satisfied with 1" down to maybe 1/2", affording the best will not be necessary. However, it's the repeatability which drives us to spend more money than would otherwise be necessary. Your 1" to 1/2" group should be repeatable, not a once in while occurrence.

Your bags will probably be nearly as good as the Caldwell except for that repeatability. The real test is how you maintain your accuracy tests in the field and what you use there.

For hunting rifles I have used small backpacks, sand bags or sand socks, bipods and tripods. This is after I've wrung out the rifle for load development. For me it always depends on the terrain. If I'm unfamiliar with the terrain or can't scout it, I try to use a bipod and a sand bag for flexibility.

Decide what your parameters are then write out a list of potential solutions.

Enjoy!

:)

Last edited:
What does everyone use for shooting off a bench? I am wanting to take out as much of the human element as I can while testing loads. I am currently using front and rear sand bags, but am considering getting the Caldwell Rock JR and then just using rear sand bags.

Does anyone have any preferences or experience with the Rock JR? Is it worth the cheap price?

Admittedly a lot more expensive (about $350), I use Grizzly's Y-Rest (https://www.grizzly.com/products/bald-eagle-y-rest-cast-iron/be1006) specifically because I wanted to take the variables out of load testing. It was recommended by a benchrest shooter as being a good choice for new benchrest shooters but much less expensive than the really nice ones they use, and it does the trick. I'm not shooting benchrest but for now, developing loads for several calibers, this, along with a rear bag, takes the human out of the equation and narrows the variables down to the rifle and the loads. The nice part of that is that once I've developed an accurate load, I can really tell where I need to improve my own shooting abilities.

I'm pretty new to Bench Rest Shooting. I just make my own bags using Rice for a Back Squeeze Bag. Works pretty good depending how much you fill them to comfort level. About $3.50 at the grocery store and of course you need to sew up a bag with a sewing machine.
On another note, if sighting in a rifle, or varmint shooting, I LOVE what is hard to find the RCBS R.A.S.S. system. You can pretty much fine tune it into a spot and drive nails. 360 degree swivels, 20 degrees up & down locks in, and then a knob for fine tuning. I'm still looking for another on to buy for my shooting buddy if anyone has one for sale. Attached is a picture!

Attachments

• rcbs rass.jpg
    rcbs rass.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6067.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 95

bipod and rear bag