Resizing 7mmRUM to 338RUM Question

royinidaho

Got a deal on bunch of new & once fired 7mm RUM cases, REM of course.....

Figured that some of these could be resized to 338 RUM. So I gave it a go on one case.

Wasn't much of a problem running the case through the 338 RUM FL Sizer. Pushing the shoulder back that tenth inch or so took a little bit of umph....

The problem was wrinkes in the form of dents in the shoulder. Not from lube but from more brass going into less area.....

Fired the case, the dents got much smaller but are still there.

Was this whole thing another of my dumb ideas to save a couple of cents??

Suggestions? or just don't do it?

Depends on how bad, they should come out with firing. I would try to reanneal a few cases and then resize.

Why not just rechamber the rifle to 338 edge so you only have to neck the cases to 338 and you will get the extra velocity

Cheers Bill
Australia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Roy, don't even attempt the change. Give it up as a bad cause, box those #$%^ 7mmRUM cases up, & mail them to me for proper 'disposal'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just rechamber the rifle to 338 edge so you only have to neck the cases to 338 and you will get the extra velocity

Cheers Bill
Australia /quote]

Bill,

That's the next step that will take place next year. I'm slowly evolving from the 338 Win which was a joy, to the 338 RUM which just happens to be finicky in this barrel, then to the Edge w/a good barrel. But, However, and.... I've spotted a good deal on an AR-30 which could let me think even larger.

So little time, so little money and eyes as large as saucers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Speedbump: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The AR30 would be an awsome base for a custom long range rig. if you ger a 300mag one you could still build a 338 edge but the 338 Lapua you could go to a 338-416 improved. The only thing is the mag length do you know how long their mags are for the AR30"

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.