Request to Kirby or other 'smiths...

Bug

Would one of the gunsmith types be so kind as to post some pics of a Wyatt's extended mag box being installed? I'd like to see just what kind of machining is involved in extending mag length. Should be essentially the same, whether long or short action, wouldn't it? If it makes any difference, my preference is for a floor plate, and not a detachable mag. Maybe a before and after pic, with two or three while the cuts are being made? I don't want a whole instructional library, just enough to decide what is involved. That would help me decide who to get to do the work, should I go that way.
I realize this might be a small PITA, but I think a lot of us would benefit from it. Thanks, guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bug.

I do not have any pics at this time but I can discribe the process for you:

step 1
Level the receiver in the milling vice, mag port up.

Step 2
With a square end mill cutter you take roughly 0.120" off the back of the mag well window. Basically, you will be cutting it back until your about 1/2 way through the small diameter screw hole ment for the ADL forward trigger guard screw. This depends of course on the diameter of the mill your using as you have to extend the window back just enough so that the extended mag box will fit snuggly in the new elongated window.

Step 3
Extend the radiused rim clearance window on each side real back to the new back of the mag window.

Step 4
Deburr the fresh cuts to make sure there are no burrs in the bolt way to cause bolt movement issues.

Step 5
Cut the surface of the bolt stop that stops the bolt back roughly 0.110". I actually prefer to cut it back 120 to 125 thou but thats just personal preference. 110 thou is in the instructions.

Step 6
Clamp up the floorplate if a BDL and mill the rear of the floorplate frame that controls the mag box enough for clearance of the longer box.

Step 7
Made a milling cut to the back of the mag well in the stock is needed. Surpisingly enough, often times this is not needed.

Step 8
Assemble rifle and make sure that the new mag box floats between receiver and floorplate. Your done, test for function and send out the door.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
Thanks for the reply and instructions. Sounds pretty straightforward. One Q:

" Basically, you will be cutting it back until your about 1/2 way through the small diameter screw hole ment for the ADL forward trigger guard screw."

What if you're doing an ADL? Do you put something in the stock & use a wood screw for the front TG screw?
IF (a big IF) I decide to tackle this, I won't be using a gunsmith. The only guy close, that does milling, is a carburetor guru. He can run a mill like nobodys business, but he isn't a gunsmith. MAYBE we can get this done without wasting an action. I'm just getting fed up with too-short magazines.

There is an ADL extended mag box offered by Wyatts, its a bit shallower in depth to accomodate the solid bottom stock design. I do not know how Wyatt recommends dealing with the front trigger screw issue on an ADL but personally, I cut the front TG screw off so it will reach just to the inside of the stock inner surface, then use some high strength 5 minute expoxy and fill in the front trigger screw hole, then put the trigger guard on the rifle and push in the shortened front trigger screw. Basically making a dummy screw.

TO be honest the only purpose of the front TG screw on an ADL is to hold the tigger guard in place, thats it. It should never be tightened down to the receiver anyway so making a dummy screw works just as well and allows the extended mag box to be used also.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.