Q for Kirby or other smiths

robbor

Im getting my lathe setup for chambering and am planning on building a barrel blocked large shank straight barreld savage. Im going to build the block myself also. What is the normal OD of a blanks to be used for a savage? Savage spec is supposidly 1.120, so it would be easy to ream my block to 1.125. But I also see small shank blanks listed at 1.15" So do you normally use a special order 1.12 or 1.125 blank or a 1.15? I am planning on useing in a nut. Im thinking with floating the action there should be not much need to do it rem style with a shoulder and easier for a first project. Thanks Rob
Im planning on probably a Krieger straight cylinder fluted barrel so id rather not go way up to 1.25

Are you retaining the barrel lock nut system on the Savage or fitting it like a Rem 700?

That will determine not only the barrel diameter you can use but also the block width.

I always fit my Savage barrels in the same manner as the Rem 700 so I can use larger diameter barrel shanks. Only adds stiffness and rigidity to the rifle system and also adds a safety margin when chambering the larger diameter magnums as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.